PC Tasks as practice

Discussion in 'A+' started by rwilmot, May 26, 2006.

1. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

What sort of manual tasks would you perform on a spare PC? Is there a general routine or set of processes that should be followed? I feel kinda silly asking as I can do some PC repair tasks, just curious I guess..

Certifications: Village Idiot Award
    WIP: working towards everything..
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The first thing that I would suggest that you be proficent in is in building up a PC from scratch.

Take your spare PC and strip it so that all you have is a bare case then rebuild it. Once you feel comfortable with that then its is time to move on to installing the OS.

8)

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...and whilst everything is stripped, you might aswell give it a good clean, and remember ESD, if you havenot got a strap or grounding mats, every 20 secs of so, just keep touching the metal part of the case

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Also watch out for any sharp edges on your case, when ever I build a comp I'm always guaranteed at least one deepish cut and many other superficial ones, so keep plenty of sticky plasters nearby :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

its inevitable 8)

6. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

There's no real set routine but you'll soon find your own way around the inside of a PC.Since PC's vary so much in size and complexity the only truly set routine starts and ends with common sense.Give yourself room to manouvre,like removing the psu if needs be,removing a cpu fan or unplugging (after documenting where they go back into of course!) various cables.As Cheeck says "clean the machine",remove dust bunnies,fag ash,toenail clippings and tarantula droppings,make working on the machine as easy as possible and remember,it may not be YOUR machine you are pulling to peices,so apply a little tlc and you'll be fine. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would play around with an old PC as much as you can. Experiment and see what happens when you do certain things and remove certain files. You could get the latest objectives and see what type of things Comptia will expect you to do for the exam. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. 9box

9box Bit Poster

hey, just started on A+, trying to read, "A+ Complete, De Luxe Edition" by David Groth, like a novel but truthfully it puts me to sleep, better than novocaine does.
    Pulling apart an old pc sounds great. Got an old socket 7 Pentium mmx 233 mhz fitted with win 95. No documentation, present, Will pull apart & dust everthing down as sugested, but must admit to fears in the area of software/ os etc. Is it advisable to pull the cmos battery from the mobo, or will i get into more troulble than i will admit to being able to manage on my own here?

9. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

I've pulled PC's apart including the CMOS battery and have had no problems.. Others might say different? :rolleyes:

Certifications: Village Idiot Award
    WIP: working towards everything..
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Many of the socket 7 motherboards would work fine with the default BIOS settings (which is what you'll get if the battery is left out for any time).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+