PC stealthing

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Fergal1982, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

im currently running Sygate personal firewall at the moment and i went to this site:

http://www.grc.com

and noticed that i have some ports which were closed, an some with were wide open. (apparently my pc responds to ping requests too). but it like to know if anyone knows of good free firewall software which i can use which will cover most if not all of the common ports, etc (ideally to stealth them all)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hey Fergal

I went to this site, didi the test on Common Ports and then all service ports and got the following result

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

The firewall I'm using is Zonealarm, which is free for the basic version (home use), with the option to upgrade to Pro. I just use the free version, and I find it does the job just fine. Obviously Pro has more options, and you have a bit more control over the settings. If you download the free version, it comes with a free 30 day trial for Pro, so you can decide if you think it's worth purchasing.

HTH

Andy

[/size][/font]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Post Edited SimonV

I used the free version too till I got bored and decided i needed more security so I just got the code and voila!

Of course dont all rush at once as I am not a Premium Member and no doubt my inbox will get full to 5 messages!!!

Guys is there a free version of that software cos it aint half expensive?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

CertForums is not a venue to distribute illegal serials for unlicensed software. Warez, serials, cracks , mp3 downloads will not be published or distributed here and any links/requests of this type will immediately and without explanation be modified or deleted.

Please do not post replies to your own posts, use the edit post function to make additions.

Additionally, read here for an update on the PM storage limitation

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i tried zonealarm before, as i recall i didnt much like the system to be honest!

Fergal

might give it another go!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Fergal, Sygate is a very good firewall even in the free version. It's all a matter of configuration. You don't say which version you have but the latest is around 5.1 I think. Of course the pro version is much better. Personally I use Agnitum Outpost Pro after having tested Outpost, Sygate, Zonealarm, Kerio and BlackIce all in pro versions. I found this to be the best for me, and the ability to use plug-ins is a real bonus.

But as I said it's a matter of configuration so rtm and play with it a lot. It's also a matter of personal choice so get the trial versions and play with them for 30 days each and see which one you like the best.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685