PC restarts after power down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Nov 5, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, I checked everything in the BIOS I know how to check and I can't see anything indicating a restart/reboot. Nelix, I'll have to check again for that option, but I've pushed and held the button countless times until the machine turns off. A couple of seconds later, it comes on again.

Just to check all the other options, I pulled the machine down to the workbench and opened it up. I checked all the power connections from the power supply to the HDD and the mobo...everything's tight. I unplugged the cable from the reset button (it's an old Micron machine) thinking it was resetting the thing...no difference. I went out to Windows Update and found an optional update that dealt with power hanging issues. Downloaded it (actually, I downloaded all the critical updates, too)...same deal. Personally, I think the thing is four years old and deciding to be cranky. If it were up to me, I'd blow it away with a 12 gauge and get her a new one but it's not my money. Any other ideas?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. z0rand3r

z0rand3r New Member

If all of the connections are properly secured, then this sounds like an issue with the control circuitry within the power supply. It sounds to me like the PS is failing and needs to be replaced.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That occured to me Zo, but I always thought that a more sure sign of a failing power supply was spontaneous reboots during normal operation. True, the computer is four years old, so a dying power supply isn't out of the question.

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Trip, I've just remembered my computer started doing this at one point and I'm sure it was after I installed PCAnywhere, long shot but may help :-)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Good thought but, in this case, no sale. No PCAnywhere on this computer either. Still planning on revisiting the BIOS first then swap out the power supply if that doesn't do it. Any and all other suggestions/ideas welcome.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Have you tried re-flashing the BIOS, Trip ?

Just a thought .......

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

You could also disable the 'Wake On LAN setting in the BIOS just to be sure.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Haven't flashed the BIOS at this point. I did stare at the BIOS settings for awhile with no positive result. All the "wake up" settings are already disabled. No option for something like "shut down when I press the off button".

I thought I had it for a minute. I was up on my XP machine and in the control panel. I saw under power options -> advanced tab that you can set actions for the power button. I hopped up on the user's machine...Windows 2000 Pro...no such option. On the advanced tab, the only thing you can do is set it to show an icon on the systray (bummer).

I'm back down to flashing the BIOS and swapping out the power supply. In a fit of pique, as the machine was booting up again, I pulled out the power cord for 10 seconds. Of course all power to the machine died and stayed dead when I put the cord back in. Take that you cretin. :evil:

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just to show you my ignorance in terms of writing scripts, I've been considering something like this:

http://www.is-it-true.org/nt/xp/utips/utips39.shtml

as a method to make the computer shutdown, placing a shortcut on the desktop of the user (ok, I'm desperate...besides, it sounds interesting). Of course when I actually tried to write a text file in the user's profile, it failed miserably. Opinions? :oops:

10. kayce1056

kayce1056 New Member

If a newbie can ask a few questions?

Are all of the service pack updates up to date, and has the user added/or can the user add any programs?

I remember Win 98 having that problem at one point.

What does the event log say?

Also, another long shot, I found this new article in the Knowledge Base

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258098

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hello Kay. Welcome to CertForums. Thanks for your suggestions. Hmmm...let's see...Service packs are up to date because, as part of my attempt at a cure, I updated them. The Event Log! Thanks for that one. I'll have to take a look when I get to work tomorrow. The machine is old enough that it could have started out life as a Win98 machine...but no HP machines directly connected. It has no access to a scanner and only accesses printers through a print server.

BTW, Please pop up to the "New Members" forum and introduce yourself to the rest of this crazy crew. They sound tough but are really harmless. :wink: Also, in the "Off Topic" forum is a thread called "What Do You Do?" and it's become somewhat customary for each of us to take a turn (some of us more than once) at saying what we do...whether it's in IT or not. We'd love to learn more about you and you'll learn (more than you ever wanted to know) about us.

Thanks for jumping right into the pool. Again, welcome. :)