PC rebooting after power cut

Discussion in 'Software' started by Angus, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Hola all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum ? My brother has had problems with his PC rebooting after we have a power cut or he plugs it into the socket. I am sure i saw this problem somewhere before here, but have done a search and cant find it.

Is this a BIOS setting needing changed ?

We hae lots of power cuts in winter here so it would be good to find out what the problem is...aj

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  2. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I know from personal experience! that if things like that start happening I would check my PSU ( power supply unit ) first.

A power cut may have damaged the unit, or try checking the fuse in the plug socket. Sounds stupid I know, but I've learnt to check the most stupid sounding things first, before trying to get clever with BIOS settings ( which I can't see it being ) or other components.

If you have an old PSU that you know is working I suggest just quickly and carefully swapping it over.

How far into the start up procedure does the computer get before re booting?

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  3. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

I was just replying when we had a power cut again !! Anyway..

The PC boots and shutsdown no problem. The problem is that if there is a power cut like we just had the PC will boot itself up from shutdown. How do I stop this ?

Cheers...aj

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Angus

This is a setting in the BIOS as to what happens when the PC shuts down unexpectedly. It is prob set to restart. If you don't want this to happen, then setit to stay shut down. Soz I can't remember the exact phrasing but it is something like that. :biggrin

From the OTHER AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Aah, cheers AJ. I will go down to his house tomorow and give it a try. I thought it might be something like that.

It will give me an excuse to drink his beer, I might just have to drag it out a while..:morebeer

Cheers..Angus J

6. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

How long are your power cuts? If they're only a few minutes, you could invest in a UPS. Then it wouldn't be affected.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.