pc reboot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rumplestiltskin, Jul 25, 2007.

1. rumplestiltskin

rumplestiltskin New Member

Hi guys,
    got a little problem, ive got a pc that every time it gets to the loading windows stage it reboots itself would i be right in thinking this could be a psu fault or am i off the mark. plz help

2. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

Have you tried booting in to Safe Mode?

May be a Windows problem, PSU, RAM, Hard drive...could me many things, just have to try to narrow it down.

Certifications: A+, N+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it could be a number of things:

It could be the PSU
    It could be damaged sector on the hard drive or something along those lines.

have you tried booting in safe mode? to see if boots to windows that way.

If it does then load the last known good config.

Also are you getting any unusual beeps when its booting?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Agree with the guys above, but just to let you know something I had the same issue in the past after I installed Alcohol 120%. For me it was the dll that was installed with that application that caused the problem so generally speaking it could be numerous things.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you recently used a registry cleaner or 3rd party disk cleanup app?

As you may have seen some of previous posts I had a problem with random reboots and BSODS it turned out that a missing/corrupt .dll file was the problem. This was either caused by a virus I got or by a registry cleaner (3rd part) that I used and it wiped the .dll file that I needed in the display drivers.

Run scandisk to test your hard drive.
    Test your PSU with a meter if thats ok, download memtest86 and use that to test your RAM

if thats okay then you may have no-option like me but to format your hard drive and re-install everything (I also mean the partition and create a new one)

Make sure you have backups of your saved stuff if you do this, but only do a format as a last resort.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...could be drivers, could be software, could be a recently applied update...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Me sisters started doing this a few weeks back. Ended up with a new PC (It wasn't something obviously wrong with the machine).

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development