PC PSU prob.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twizzle, Aug 31, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK guys,

I have a 250w psu fitted to a pc. The unit is adequate for the systems demands power wise, however it does not power on. I seem to get +5v on the yellow wire to the P1 connector but do not get 12v. While the PC is disconnected from the PSU but the PSU is on, should i get 12v out? I can never remeber if switch mode psu's supply a voltage to a dvm or not as the load isnt high enough.

Basically th epc fails to power up, there are no beeps from post etc however the LAN lights on the mobo do light up, so it could be the cpu gone but i would like it to be the psu......

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

One way of putting this to bed i think would be if you has a spare psu lying about, or if you could borrow one etc. then plug it all up etc and see what goes. with you sating the motherboard lights up this could be something else ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

the prob is that i cant find a spare psu at the mo.....

I am digging around for one tho.

Also the hard drive et all fail to power up but if the 12v is being dragged down by something else in the system i would expect that.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If it were processor then you should get a couple of beeps. I'd say that this is somehow PSU related aswell. BTW, 250 Watts seems really lightweight for a PSU.:blink

5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

does your psu have one of them switches on the back, ie 110-240, ive seen them before ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

BIG OOOOPS!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

How about a very small power on switch thats easily missed on the front panel because its covered up??? that be whats doin it.......

Before you take a unit appart beacuse its faulty ALWAYS MAKE SURE ITS TURNED ON!!!!!!!

Btw Si the psu is 250w as its a pc running 1 hard drive and a video card nothing else.. a production machine for a special project. Not everything needs loads of power lol unlik emy home system fitted with its 600w psu that sometimes falls over if everything is running at once!!!

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

DONT EVER TRY THAT AT HOME FOLKS! ALLWAYS MAKE SURE IT'S TURNED OFF BEFORE OPENNING! :eek:

You trying to electrocute us all Twizz! :p

8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

What i meant was make sure you've TRIED turning it on before disconnecting and ripping the psu out lol....

Btw i did get a shock but that was from the video bnc connecter at the back when the unit was powered off... static nothing like it!!:twisted:

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

When i was studying for A+, i remember that a PSU is a FRU.
    FRU meaning field replaceable unit.
    Don't attempt to repair it because it is dangerous and is unlikely to be repaired anyhow.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT