pc problem

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by rabmerab, Apr 6, 2010.

1. rabmerab

rabmerab Bit Poster

I dodn't know if it is ok to write here byt here you go.
    I did have a friend of my friend computer to fix this week end.
    His kids mess up his PC so he asked me to do something about it.
    He did have a desktop with Vista as operating system.
    The anti virus software which come with it detected 35 virus and the internet explorer wasn’t working. I mean you get this message “ internet explorer stop working” and when you trying to close it a new IE windows open. Basically you can’t surf the net.
    Some time you got this virus blocked by the anti virus when there is “attack from some IP address and some port”.
    I downloaded AVG standard anti virus ( for free because the guy didn’t want to pay for update) and install it.
    After running a scan with AVG, it detect 57 virus and it suppose to get rid of them. I run second scan with AVG again and didn’t find anything.
    I tried to fixed Internet explorer by resetting it ( optionàadvanceà reset) thinking may be a addons is causing the problem but no success.
    So I did have to download OPERA web browser and let him use it.
    Now he can browse the internet using opera but the original ant virus still saying there still the same virus on the PC and to get rid of them you need to purchase an upgrade which he didn’t want to.
    At the whole thing didn’t look complete even he can use it.
    What wrong with the way I did it?
    How can anti virus detect and get rid off while for other one the virus still there?
    Are just make panning to buy there products.
    How can you fix internet explorer?
    I tried to install new version but was decline.
    Thanks for your inputs.

2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Malware. (Scareware)

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Run that, should find and kill the bugger. If you can't run it, there are some tips and tricks on how to run it (such as renaming .exe to .scr, .com etc) and there is a file called rkill.com (search google) which will kill all non-critical windows processes.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. rabmerab

rabmerab Bit Poster

Thanks m8.
    I just got 1 reply. :x
    I should've mention MCSE ( even it is not relevant here) and you will see how many replies will get. LOL.
    I didn’t get no money from the work and it was as good will. I wasn’t satisfy with the job and I though to find a better way of doing it here.
    It seem to me that is a commons problem which techs faces every day.

Anti virus detect and delete the viruses then running another scan with the same one shows it is clean. How ever another anti virus show they still there. Which one do you trust?
    Another question, some one told me that there is no point from installing anti virus to try to clean the PC if the viruses have been there before the installation. You have to format the hard drive.
    I did find it a bit hard but I thought to ask.
    Thanks

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

boohoo only one reply.

you didn't even bother to reply to say what results you achieved from following dazz's post.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

The reason there was only one answer is because it was very likely the correct thing to do. Why repeat our selves? Give this a try, its free and very good.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When did this start to happen? This anti-virus sounds alot like Anti-virus 2010, which imo is a more program then malware (with malware traits).

If you can narrow it down when this started to happen, do a system restore to a point before this started. Then do a virus/malware/spyware scan.

Hate to tell you mate, but all of us here volunteer our time (including staff). By saying things like this, it ain't the best way to win friends and influence people...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

This is certforums. For certifications
    Ergo . . . . .
    If we offer any kind of support be grateful as this is not a Technical support forum but rather a community of people working towards CERTIFICATION

Next time google for tech support

Out of the kindness of my heart though I direct you to this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
    This has proved to be the best tool out there in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Whenever I'm cleaning an infected machine I almost always do the same steps. First run CCleaner to speed the process and clean the cookies and such. Then run malwarebytes and superantispyware. I may also run combofix and hijackthis and maybe a pandascan or something similar. Then toggle system restore off reboot and toggle it back on.

My recommendation to the original poster would be to go to http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 run those steps exactly and when you finish if you still have any issues on the machine post in that forum. Those guys are great.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA