PC NSIS error and Adware Superiorads problems

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by pengie, Mar 15, 2008.

1. pengie

pengie Bit Poster

Hi everybody
    I thought i would ask you guys if you could help me out with these problems as i have no idea on what to do or whats caused them. I keep getting a box pop up saying...

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
    Thie could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed dowload or a virus.
    You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.
    Or may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)

I haven't tried to download or install anything, my norton internet security auto-protect alerted me that adware superiorads was dectected and that my pc is now secure. I then ran my antivirus and it detected superiorads and resolved it BUT now Auto-protect seems to be popping up every few seconds informing me of this superiorads and the NSIS error is popping up alot too.

What can I do??

2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi and welcome!

Norton flags instant warning bells - it's not exactly the most reliable antivirus on the market. Try running HomeCall for a scan of your PC, and/or switching your anti-virus to something like AVG and run an anti-spyware scan.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. TowerTuff

TowerTuff New Member

Hi Pengie !!!

I have some contacts by symantec and for your problems they told me that a NSIS Installer (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) is trying to run, eventhough it is corrupted.

So the persistant attempt to run this file might be because of an unwanted program trying to install this product.

For your Superiorads they gave me this link

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-031415-3449-99&tabid=3

Follow these steps carefully to remove all Superiorads and run a full systemscan.

If, after this step is completed successfully and you still receive the message,it might be caused by something else.

And they gave me this solution:

Do: Start-> Run -> msconfig

And see that the startup services and programs are clean and do not contain entries that sounds suspicious.

You might want to check the folling registry keys as well:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

To make sure nothing you dont want is set to automatically startup when you start your computer.

Good luck !!!