PC & Network Assistant, help with relevant qualifications?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jhfahey, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jhfahey

jhfahey New Member

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and this is my first thread :D

I will soon be starting as a PC and Network Assistant with a company local to me, after completing a IT apprenticeship. There will be only two of us in the IT department for the company, basically the administrators understudy. :)

I am absolutely delighted with getting the job and due to the fact i showed my enthusiasm to learn more and gain more skills and qualifications in the role, they have offered my some qualifications to study towards and pay for as well as getting paid study time for these exams and a pay increase as well!

The current relevant qualifications i hold are as follows: A+, MTA: Networking & Operating System Fundamentals and MCTS: Win 7.

My company are currently offering me the chance to study the: MTA: Security & Server and MCTIP: Enterprise Desktop Admin.

I am curious as to what you guys think i should consider studying towards after i complete these certifications. Qualifications i am currently considering is the 70-685 as well as the equivalent exams for Windows Server :)

Any advice you guys can give me would be great!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sounds like the company already has a plan on what they what to put you through. I'd go for that, then after you've completed their training program decide on what you want to do. TBH, it depends on what your job role entails, you may decide to do the Cisco route starting with the CCENT or Network+ (general), you may have to support Apple or Linux machines, or you may even decide to do your degree.

One thing that I'm surprised on, they wanting to you do the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Admin (680 + 686) instead of the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (680 + 685). The Admin is really about deployment, refreshes, lifecycles, etc. Desktop Support is what it says support. But that's just my thought.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security