PC Needs Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MFirm, Jan 4, 2009.

1. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Hi Guys!

I have just been given this PC from my Uncle and at 1st look its pretty ok, here are the details:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition V.2002 + SP3

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz
    1.00 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

Sapphire Radeon X1550 Series
    Intel 82801 GB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

1394 Net Adapter + Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection

This is going to be my 1st attempt at updating little things on a machine and really wanted your advice as to the bits i need to change and the bits that don't really need to change but could be.

I was told that the Network Adapter would need changing as to receive 20MB+ i would need a better one, is this true? Also if i change it so i remove the old one's totally or just disable them?

All your advice and knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks MFirm

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

comp would do with a RAM upgrade. (another 1GB would be nice)
    what size hard drive is in there?
    your network adapter is fine, the 20mb+ is referring to internet connection which would be done to your modem/router you have.
    other than that, seems fine, but it depends on what you will be using the computer for

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Intel PRO/100, is a 100mb network card so you won't have to change that unless you're running a gb network at home or if the card is faulty.

Me personnally, if I had that PC and the money to change bits and pieces I would change the Graphic card, install more ram (to at least 2gb, pref 4gb to go along side ->), change/install another the HDD and install Vista (64bit edition) so that you have DX10 & can access >3gb of ram, take a look at the PSU and maybe upgrade that.

But to be honest, unless you're a gamer and need the extra power, the spec of the PC is ok for "normal" use, so you could just get away with doing just software updates :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree with most of what has been said. The network adaptor is fine - and is actually one of my preferred ones.

I'd just add another GB of memory.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

cheers for your help guys, i think i will add some more memory, im not a huge gamer so the graphics card is good for me.

6. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

There is one problem for me though, i cant seem to find the Intel Pro connection on the back of the tower, would it be separate from then 1394 or would tehy use the same connection port?

7. Mr.Cheeks

something like this?
    [​IMG]

8. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

yeah, there is one with the little network image with the 3 computers and also one like you said but the ethernet cable i have doesnt seem to fit both?

9. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Also, just a qucik question where do you guys buy your RAM from? Any cheap online store?

10. hbroomhall

Firewire usually has a symbol like this:

[​IMG]

and the socket is a squashed oval in shope - like USB somewhat.

Ethernet is squarer. It similar to, but a little bigger than the plugs used on phone handsets.

Harry.

11. hbroomhall

Kingston and Cruical are the usual best people. Their sites have utils that will identify what sort of memory you need, and will help you out if the TAM you buy doesn't work.

Harry.

12. Mr.Cheeks

crucial has an online scanner and shows you what type of RAM you have and how much you can you can fit in.

Firewire port
    [​IMG]

Firewire cable
    [​IMG]

13. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

So the Pro/100 is firewire? So i need that cable

14. hbroomhall

No - the Pro is Ethernet.

Harry.

15. hbroomhall

Lets try a different photo:

connectors.jpg

Here 1394 is the same as Firewire (the standard is IEEE1394). The Ethernet socket on the right has a different symbol from the usual, but one I've seen quite a bit.
    Intel PRO/100 is the controller for the Ethernet.
    VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 is the controller for the Firewire.

Harry.

16. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

Ill have to have another try in putting my ethernet cable in the other connection port, i tried but didnt seem to go, i havent & didnt put anything in the firewire i have one of these but havent used it.

What version of Vista should i get, home, ultimate, premium???

17. hbroomhall

The Ethernet plug has to be the correct way up - there is a clip on the plug that acts as a latch, and this fits in a groove in the socket.

And why change to Vista? Unless this machine was built for Vista in my view you will get better performance sticking to XP!

Harry.

18. MFirm

MFirm Bit Poster

thanks for the info Harry, im gonna add 4GB RAM and you reckon it will be alright to stay with XP? In the future im gonna have to change wont i?

19. hbroomhall

Er - don't *add* 4GB - the motherboard may not handle it correctly, even though it claims PAE. You can add 3GB, but you will find that XP will only use about 3.2GB of the 4GB.

That's why I suggested just adding 1GB. More than that is not terribly useful with common home use.

Harry.

20. hbroomhall

XP will be around for ages. And if you are considering going for the A+ cert (this *is* a certification forum :biggrin ) then currently that is emphasising XP.

A point in the future where you *have* to change it could be quite some time away. But will depend on how you want to use the machine.

Harry.