PC Hardware Building

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by HiArt99, Sep 30, 2009.

1. HiArt99

HiArt99 New Member

Hi Folks,

recently been put on the Scrap heap of unemployment and looking at setting myself up as a PC troubleshooter.

I am going to get myself MSDST certified (found the great sticky on that already), but I am also going to look at building/upgrading PCs and wondering if there is training/certificate for that. I build my own PCs, and re-install Windows every few months. I also provide PC support to family members, so I think I have a good start on this.

Also, I will need a wholesale source for PC components. Does anyone know of a good provider of such in the UK?

The idea is to advertise myself as PC Builds, support, office solutions and small bespoke applications as I know my way around VBA, vb.net, etc.

Not looking to make squillions here, but just the odd job or two a week to keep me sane. Daytime TV is sooooooo boring :blink

Is there anything I need to consider?

I know I will need to find some public liability insurance just in case I fry someone's 'puter, or tread on their prize cat.

Thanks for your help.

Art

Certifications: ITIL, ISEB
    WIP: MSDST
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Several points and words of caution.

Don't expect to make a great deal of money - the home market is saturated by people doing the same thing.

Do some research in your local area on what others are offering/charging.

Do get some accountancy advice right at the start. Basically you can set up as a Sole Trader and you don't *have* to be VAT registered but it does (and can) help - accountant will advise best course for this.

Try to stick to one or two m/b manufacturers so you build up expertise and get to know quirks etc - you wouldn't believe how many people I used to come across using dif stuff for each build and thus building up absolutely no experience whatsoever.

Trade accounts are very useful - however, they will charge carriage and VAT so make sure you make decent profit (mark-up for PC's should be 15-25% but remember this also has to cover your build time).

Trade suppliers who will do "cash with order" (i.e. you pay with debit/credit card) :

www.spire.co.uk

www.landmarq.co.uk (their system builds work out at £15-25 - I used to get them to build but I would install o/s as it wasn't worth my time doing the build)

www.ingrammicro.co.uk

www.lindy.co.uk

www.cpc.co.uk

There are many others but those will get you started.

Remember you are in this to make money !

Certs - CompTIA A+ and N+ - wouldn't worry too much about MSCDT at this stage as not particularly useful for home market.

You could look at joining the MS Partner program - www.microsoft.com/uk/partner

This is free and you can sit a small test to qualify to get the "Action Pack" of software (which you have to buy) for your own "business" use.

Any more info - send me a PM

HTH :biggrin

PS - liability ins - I used to use AXA who did a small trade policy costing about £70 a year. That should be fine unless you're going into companies working on their networks - then you may need something more substantial (Hiscox are good).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice above... if you decide to brave the waters, the A+, Network+, and MCDST certifications are the way to go.

That said, home users aren't generally going to care that you're certified, because the certifications mean nothing to most of them. They'll care only that you charge a fair price and, more importantly, do good work.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. HiArt99

HiArt99 New Member

Thanks Guys.

Certifications: ITIL, ISEB
    WIP: MSDST