PC gaming is about to lose another customer...

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Mathematix, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Well, after years of playing PC games I'm finally tired of matching drivers to games and expensive upgrades - as well as being uncertain if every game I buy will actually run well, or even actually work!

PS3 here I come! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

NoOOOooOoO!!! :biggrin

Dont do it....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

And so another one turns to the dark side! Come back into the light, its not that bad!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Frankly, I've never understood the fascination for gaming in its various forms. I must be missing something, because some of the most intelligent people I know are into gaming. With so many movies and shows to watch and books to read and write, where would I find the time. I never find myself just hanging around with nothing to do, wishing I had a computer game to play.

I've been invited to a few LAN parties at work, but I've had to explain that I'm just "not cool enough" to be interested in joining in. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have been gaming on consoles for years, I briefly gamed on a pc back in 96 but always had consoles.

Now I am back gaming on PCs and I actually prefer it. I understand that it can be a pain in thge arse with patches and updates and drivers etc but I find it's well worth it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. greenbrucelee

I think gaming is just like a book but slightly more involving.It takes you to another place, involves you in other activities and lets face it, you can't blow someones head off in a book :biggrin

7. Mathematix

Seriously, guys. I yearn for the time when I can just put in a game and play, and can still remember the days when PC gaming was exactly that. Nowadays, technology is advancing at a faster rate (both hardware and software), meaning that at any one time there are more unstable options on the market for gaming, given that the technologies have not had time to mature.

With consoles everything is tested, and I can be virtually certain that I wiill be able to play without the initial fight.

A tired gamer. :(

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'll concede that a game is more interactive than a book, but I won't say that it's more involving. I'm re-reading Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon and the story is quite involving. I can't help casting Humphrey Bogart in the role of Sam Spade in my imagination as I'm reading the book, even though Hammett's Spade was blond. When I'm reading, my mind is totally engaged in the action and Hammett has the ability to completely transport me to 1928 San Francisco with his faithfulness in description to the locations and events in the city at that time. I doubt that any computer game could match the complexity of interactions and the sheer mystery presented in a book. The human imagination is still the best special effects generator in the world.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Mathematix

I think it has something to do with attention span. Games require it in bursts, but films, books, etc. require marathon spans.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I usually play my xbox 360. Not so much into pc gaming, although I once was. Actually, it's kind of going to sound contridictory but the only game I play on the pc is WoW, everything else is xbox.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've always found PC gaming to be a pain in the arse as well, and have never bothered with it. I've had consoles going back to the Sega Master System and love my PS3, but don't really play that much any more as I don't have time.

That said, I finished Tomb Raider Underworld a couple of days after it came out and am now working my way back through it trying to find all the hidden stuff, and my missus got me Mirror's Edge for xmas which I've been looking forward to playing for a while. Oh, and I bought Bioshock too - because I found the PC version an awesome game but, again, buggy to the point of frustration

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. greenbrucelee

I ended up going back to the PC because I had 4 360s because the 3 rings of death, the bloody cooling wasn't adequate enough with me building my own pc I can keep it cool and don't really have a fear of it overheating.

13. Mathematix

Well said. What also kicked me in the PS3 direction is:

1. Have a six week old PSP which reminded me what it's like to put in a game, not have to install then tweak before you can play. And the performance is perfect!
    2. Versus the 360, I've played Gears of War etc. on the PC, and the PS3 opens up new avenues to game genres with a more powerful technology. I also wouldn't have to fear the ring of death.
    3. The PSP and PS3 can talk to each other in various ways.

Quite looking forward to it. Will soon cancel me PC pre-orders for PS3 ones. :biggrin

14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Good man :D, might I suggest you download the Warhawk demo once you get your PS3, best game I've spent money on so far and very addictive :D.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  15. Mathematix

Thanks for the tip, ThomasMc! Will certainly check it out. :biggrin

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then either you're doing something incredibly wrong or I'm doing something incredibly right. I install game, I play game, I finish game, I uninstall game. Occasionally, somewhere in there, I install patch. That's it.

Not sure where the problem lies... perhaps you're just not buying the right hardware. <shrug>

Have fun with the console. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Having both a PS3 and a PC- I have to say I use my PC for gaming more ;) It is just a lot easier- you're searching the net, get bored (some how) and decide to play some Fallout 3 :D
    Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to having a PS3, like GTA IV and (eventually) Final Fantasy and Resident Evil. Some games are just better on consoles than they are on PCs.

18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well said and put:) suppose it really boils down to preference.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. Mathematix

Then you're lucky enough to have a configuration that is most likely thoroughly tested in games testing labs for the PC. Were the problem lies in that you are probably building/upgrading complete systems more frequently than I am, so by definition I should have more problems than you. When new components are used to upgrade systems where driver updates were discontinued even a few months ago problems start to occur, as the drivers for the latest hardware are not written to compensate for 'obsolete hardware'.

I certainly am not going to build/buy a new system every couple of years just to avoid game compat. issues. :)

20. Mathematix

Yep, as you say, it's down to preference. I preferred PC gaming for the last 7-odd years for the very reasons that you gave - now I've changed. :biggrin