pc cards

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, May 10, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK here goes would the sudden loss of power make an IP address vanish.

The story is i got a new com desk and was arranging the furniture, and it was time to move the com, but i managed to bang the aerial and break it. Now basically i had no internet etc. So ive put in a new aerial and all i kept getting was that id not been assisgned an ip add and that i should contact the network controller. But with her not being here i cant get to her comp.

So after making sure all my little windows xp options were all correct i decided to try one last thing, system restore and OMFG it worked and is still working . Anyone got any experiences on this or comment , besides be more carefule with the comp lol

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The only thing I can see that might of happend is if your IP is assigned by DHCP and your PC was trying to renew it's IP and lost it or that another PC took your IP during it being off and there was a conflict.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. zxspectrum

Well im back on again but im having the same trouble, i ran a virus scan and cam up with nothing , but my spybot program has come up with windows security centre antivirus diasable notify and also windows security centre firewall disable notify . Would you think these could be causing me grief. I have also swithched off the system restore as i do want rid of these bugs

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would check your hardware first. When you say aerial I take it you are using a wireless setup. Check over that and make sure it's all working fine and that you can ping the router.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. zxspectrum

ok cheers again , howe do i go about pinging the router??

Plus them 2 things that came up before, the windows security probs antivirus disable notify and firewall disable notify cmae up again on my spybot chack . after getting rid everything seems to work , but i cant understand why they are coming back as ive turned off system restore

6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

start menu=>Run=>cmd=>ping routers ipadress

7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Questions:
    1) What is a "com desk?" Is it for radios or something?
    2) What is a "com?"

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

i think a com desk is just a computer desk and a com is a computer. Am i right?

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Jack - im sure your right

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Assuming you have a wireless connection.

Start>Control Panel>Network Connections, right click on the wireless connection and select ‘Repair’, any joy? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. zxspectrum

OK sorry to all those ive confused, but com desk is short for computer desk. Secondly i tried the repair thing but that was no good, at the moment the card is working very well, and it seems to be that all the problem was, was spyware, 226 counts to be precise. Even though i did antivirus scan (panda titanium) and a spyware scan (spybot) there seemed to be loads of crap on my computer.

Now the spybot picked up 2 counts of spyware but it couldnt get rid of them . So luckily for me my ISP , BT , has given me free spyware which got rid of all the poop. And the panda antivirus can go as well, i think ill install the free norton. But thanks for all your help i think its sorted, luckily ive had my PSP to keep me sane.

Has anyone else had trouble like this, ie ineffective spyware and antivirus ???

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Most of the Pc's i go to because they *don't work* are spy/virus related problems.....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. zxspectrum

Well i had loads of spyware and i even had a trojan, which i now have got rid of. Im still puzzled tho as i want to delete all my wireless sofware and then reinstall it , but even though ive deleted allthe files i can still go online . And the option to remove the connection im using will not let me delete at all ????

Any ideas ??? :oops:

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Deleteing files that are part of an installation is always a bad move. You should uninstall.

And on WinXP there is a *lot* of WiFi functionality built into the OS.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

To completely disable your Wi-Fi connection, you'd probably need to uninstall your wireless card.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

In answer to your other question.. There is no one product that can effectively remove all incidences of malware.

Personally I use;

Spybot S&D
    Lavasoft's Spyware Blaster
    Ewido's excellent offering
    MacAfee's superdat scan
    Microsoft's Windows Defender
    AVG anti-virus

And even after updating and running all the above, I can still not be 100% sure that all the nasties will be gone.

The only way of being sure is to do a fresh install of Windows.

Once you have a nice fresh installation, install an AV application, do all MS critical updates and then install Opera or Firefox and use those to browse the net whenever you can. It is Internet Explorer that is funimentally flawed and allows the installation of malware via active X controls.

I am not sure whether IE7 is any better but as it is currently in beta, I wouldn't trust it either.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)