PC Building Master Class

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonD, May 11, 2010.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

A few things to point out to you. If the classroom is too large you will over run because there are ALWAYS people in the class with varying degrees of ability, have a class too large and those people who aren't having issues will start complaining that they are sat there doing nothing.

The aim of the course is definitely aimed at the individual rather than the corporate client, as you said corporates buy in bulk and at far cheaper than I ever could.

Location wise, this would be run in Colchester, a fairly easy place to get to.

As far as the £71 per hour goes, thats not the way it works because as the instructor\owner of the company I would more than just the 9.30 - 5.00, there is the course prep, ordering, goods received etc. This all takes time and time = money, all of a sudden that 'profit' suddenly get's smaller and smaller the more you put into it.

The idea of the course is to teach people how to build and maintain their pc, that would cover replacing parts either due to upgrade or break\fix.

This particular venture isn't there to make me large sums of money (if I wanted that I would simply just carry on contracting doing what I am doing), the idea for this is to get my skills up as an instructor with the view of starting up a training company, far more work for less pay than I earn now but it's actually something I am quite keen to do. I think my profit margin atm is possibly £300 per course with 6 people on it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

Funny, one of my intentions is to start a training provider too, albeit not PC building. Good luck with it! :)

I would suggest that there is a difference between setting up a training business and being a self-employed training instructor; whilst initially you/I may need to be both, I would encourage you to think about the possibility of growing your business to the point where other people are doing the work for you. Perhaps it is not something you envisage needing now, but what if you wish to retire and your business continues to generate money for you? :wink:

WIP: 70-682
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My aim isn't to build a training business for building PC's, it's actually to do training thats not just IT related but also subjects such as cooking, wellness etc. Obviously with those areas I would need to hire in SME's for each different area to be covered.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I think this is quite a good idea personally, Although as someone mentioned before they went on a course to do similar and had the option of wether or not to buy the pc they built at the end of the course, I think this would be a better idea as some people may want the skills but may already be planning on building a powerful gaming pc so perhaps wouldn't want the pc provided in the course.

Either that or you could offer the course on options, You could do the course together but offer the basic course with options. ie:

Option 1 - £500 with a basic all round pc, Much like described by yourself
    Option 2 - £750 with good gaming rig capable of playing latest games at good speeds etc
    Option 3 - £999 with ultimate gaming rig

This would vary the class and bring in new issues that everyone could possibly learn from and also means that people have some more choice with what they take home.

Although I appreciate it may mean more of an initial outlay I think I would be more tempted with options than without from a personal point of view.

Also another comment made about the cost of sandwiches and drinks etc, If you agree a deal with a hotel to use their facilities for any future costs then most of them will be able to do the food for a very reasonable cost. I used to run a pub restaurant and work as an assistant manager of a Hotel, both for Greene King and we did similar things with snacks and drinks at about £3-4 per head, which for a small class isn't too much I don't think. We also chucked a few warm snacks out like chicken goujons and satay chicken skewers etc for that cost.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. Len

Len Byte Poster

You could target the unemployed as well.. I'm sure there's some sort of funding available.. Just an idea, saw an advert for something similar in my area saying "funding is available for the unemployed" Not sure, what hoops you'd have to jump through to get that funding though.

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+