PC-BSD, Linux, and Mac

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 16, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Here's a blurb I ran across today on how one of the largest electronics retailers in the US is going to start selling PC-BSD in its stores. This is evidence to me that MS is truly losing ground in the OS wars. A desktop OS made from FreeBSD making it to retail stores? That's pretty amazing, and would have been unthinkable even a couple of years ago.

Add this to the fact that Walmart has completely sold out it's entire inventory of Everex PC's with gOS installed, an Ubuntu descendant, in less than a month after putting them on sale, and you can start to see the growth of Linux into the mainstream PC marketplace. Also, I ran across an article on how the new Mac OS has had people lining up in the rain outside computer retailers in Japan to buy it. For the month of October it was the market leader in OS sales in Japan even though it was only on sale for 1 week. In one week it captured 60+% of the total sales for the month.

Finally, MS is getting some competition. It took Dell beginning to offer Linux on some of its systems to break the dam, but now retailers and other system builders are starting to offer Linux and FreeBSD. And, Apple seems to be flat out kicking MS's butt in Japan. Yessir, I think the turning point has been reached.

The link to this little blurb, and the above is the entirety of the announcement, can be found just below.

http://osnews.com/story.php/18933/Frys-Electronics-To-Carry-PC-BSD-1.4/

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1