PBX and VOIP?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by reverb, Mar 12, 2013.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Hope a VOIP, PBX or telecoms expert can help me here since I do not know much about PBX systems. At work we have a very old PBX system (which is managed) on ISDN30 lines which can be an absolute pain to re-cable (desk side) and re-patch if changes need to be made ie if there are desk/computers moves then usually extensions have to re-patched so the user retains their existing extension, ring groups etc.. It can get very messy and I find it quite hard to keep track of things.

Am I right to think it is IP PBX the next step up where any changes are all configured via software? If so, typically what will it involve and what is required?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends on what system you get mate. On most IP phones the config is on the phone so you can disconnect it and then connect it to another network cable and it will work – no need to change anything in the comms room.

I take it your ISDN 30e goes into the PBX and then you have hard wired extensions which you need to change around if there is an office move?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Thanks Sparky!
    Yep exactly that.

Based on experience, do you have a preference to a particular phone vendor or know are decent?

4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I've had experience with the Toshiba Strata CIX 100 Series.

They are pretty robust and easy to manage. The Network eManager Software is a nice touch.

They handle SLT and DLT well, and I believe if you upgrade to the CTX you can add VoIP capability.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what we are currently running but we have just been implementing Cisco IP phones in one of our offices.

Does make things much easier, the phones are setup via MAC address, we provide to our IPT team, they update that MAC address in the call manager software and it downloads the config, then as Sparky say it can be plugged in pretty much anywhere and will work absolutely fine (Assuming the ports configured correctly obviously).

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I only install Cisco phone systems but support various other types as well.

Are you looking to migrate to a new system?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Will take a look.
    Maybe in the pipeline.