Paying your dues

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Prior to getting the job that i am at, employers generally stated that they require at 12 - 18 months solid 1st line experience in order to progress to 2nd line, however, i have recently been to a few sites to see whats new on the market and of course the current going rate, and have noticed that employers are now asking for 18 - 24 months for 1st line in order for you to progress further...

This of course isn't a problem yet, as i am not looking for employment, however, has anyone else noticed this? plus would 12months at one company, and x amount of months at another comapny (one month break inbetween) count as solid experience, or would they be referring to xx amount of months with 1 employer count as "solid" experience...

I know employers could employ with less work experience aswell and the above is just a preference...

Hope this makes sense?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I dont think it would matter where youve done your time, but if you had done 3 month here, 3 months there and 4 months at your currentplace I think an employer would be more concerened why you had so many jobs in such a short period

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Have you ever heard of contracting? I knows guys who have had more jobs in a year then I've had in my life - all due to contracting. Employers only get concerned where there is not good reason for leaving and the amount of career changes i.e. milkman for 2months, dustbinman for 4 months, shelf stacker for 1 month etc etc...now that would raise a concern or two! However, jumping jobs - for good reason - in the same sector can only benefit an employer as shows that you can learn fast, adapt to change and are capable of hitting the ground running!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It varies per employer. Some require more, some require less. It's somewhat dependent on what kind of employee they can get in their area for the salary they're willing to pay. It's also dependent on how technical the level 2 position in question is... if it's reasonable to expect someone with a year of experience to do the job at that company, that's usually what they'll hire for. If another company needs someone slightly more technical in their level 2 position, they'll usually require more experience.

All that said, don't get caught up in the titles of "level 1" and "level 2". IT managers often make up those titles as they go, without much thought as to what other companies require for those positions. Evaluate each job individually and separately on the basis of what experience is required/desired, the responsibilities for the position, and the salary offered.

If you've got a year of experience, it doesn't really matter whether it was with 1 company, 2 companies, or 12 companies. That said, the more places you've been, the more it looks like you're either a "job hopper" or someone who's not worth a whole lot because they've been let go one or more times... neither's a good thing.

I have been labelled as a job hopper in the past. My first job was as a field service tech in Feb '98, one of my company's customers hired me up as a Systems Admin in Sept '98 ($10K increase), another company hired me up as a Network Technician in Jan '99 ($10K increase, but 100% travel), and another company hired me up as a Senior Systems Engineer in Sept '99 ($3K increase, and no travel). So, 4 jobs in a year-and-a-half. When I applied to another company in May '01, my job history was called into question. But who could blame me, considering the opportunities and salary increases?

Hope this rambling helps... :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A few jobs in that timescale would be ok but as greenbrucelee says this might get questioned in an interview, not the end of the world though.

If you like the look of a job (within reason) just send your CV anyway! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee

It is iddefernt when contracting but most people would have this on their cv but if had been permanent then an employer would probably worry

7. Mr.Cheeks

interesting replies...:D
    by the time i finish i am hoping to have at least 20 months experience, well it does seem alot for 1st line, but im planning to complete my mcdst prior to moving on, as i know the role i am in is suited for the course.. i could say i have gained A+, ITIL Foundation and MCDST within 2 years and have solid experience as i have use the knowledge gained in my job roles... ...or something like that

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like a plan! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Do you really think an employer worries? They're flooded with applications that I do not think they have the time or even resources to worry! Classic example for me is that some of my previous jobs in IT the employer hasn't even bothered to check my references - one of those was a big outsourcing company too. They were so desperate to get someone in - due to poor candidates - that they wanted me to start the next day

Avoid forming a fixed view of the "all mighty whiter then white employer" as they don't exist. At the end of the day they want someone who can do the job and that's all!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. greenbrucelee

No but being in a lot of permanent jobs in a shorty period can show negativley on a person i.e this person cant do the job, or isnt a team player.

You would have to wonder why someone is going from job to job. I would.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. The company I interviewed with did as well. Ultimately, they hired me, but not without some reservations/concerns, and they told me as much.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Or the managers are a bunch of idiots that don't know what they are doing :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I have been through that path where a company that shortlisted me ultimately did not proceed with me for the above reasons.

Now after four years in the same job they have a standing offer for me to talk to them first when/if I decide where I am...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  14. greenbrucelee

Good for you:D

At the moment we have a lot of redundancies going on, now we have had a new MD join last year when he did start his CV was posted on the notice board. If I had been the owner of the company I would never of hired him for the followin reasons:-

1. His main occupation is marine biology (he is applying for position of MD at a Newspaper company)
    2. The job he was in 5 years ago he had to implement major redundancies then left ( was not involved in newspapers)
    3. The job he was in 2 years ago he had to implement major redundancies (was a newspaper house)
    4. The job he has left to come here he has had to make major redundancie. (was a newspaper house)

Now if I was looking at this I would be saying "this bloke is jumping from job - job because a) he cant do his job and is blaming it on the employees or b) he has been really unlucky

Personally I would think a) and not hire him

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Perhaps your company is planning major redundancies and wanted proven experience! :tongue

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Early in your career that is not a problem
    I have worked (in permy roles) at about 9 differnet places in just over 10 years
    only two places have I stayed longer than 18 months

this has led me to gain the varied and wide berth of experiance I have, and at a young age, it is not a negative factor

as you progress to more responsible roles it becomes more and more of an issue, especially if your interacting directly with clients (companies dont like clients seeing different faces every few weeks, it makes them look bad)

Make whatever changes you need to at present to get the experience and confidence you need to progress into the higher echelons of your profession, only time and exposure to many different arenas can do that for you! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. Mr.Cheeks

sweet man! cheers for the guidance people...was always something i've wondered...