Pay rise - Is this cheeky?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by danielno8, Mar 7, 2012.

1. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I don't see any harm in questioning it if it's done the right way.
    I would point out the discrepancy and ask if it's an admin error or company policy (or some other reason). Since all you're doing is asking for the reason it wasn't added rather than demanding you receive it you shouldn't go rocking any boats.
    If it's an admin error they'll sort it out, if not a polite 'thanks for clearing that up for me' and never mentioning it again should fend off any bad feelings.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I totally get what you mean Daniel, I've claimed an hour single time to unexectedly drive into the office before now which isnt much at all. I do think in this case tho I wouldn't be a good friend if I said this is potentially more trouble than its worth. Management "could" think its a bit much so on those grounds I'd chalk it down to you live and you learn

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Sparky likes this.
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nicely put there mate.

Having been in this situation myself and also at the other side of the table negotiating pay for the staff I am responsible for it is not an easy task.

If you did ask I think the management would be offended that you are asking for the money after just getting a payrise. Don’t get me wrong, you are entitled to the money and you have earned the payrise but for the sake of keeping a good working relationship with management you have made the right decision.

Anyways – congrats on the payrise mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Cheers Sparky. You're right, onto the good stuff! What are we getting with our payrise woo hoo! "The New iPad" would possibly be on my radar after a rise :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good call. I have an original iPad which my wife uses constantly for browsing the web. I would like to get the new iPad but no doubt it will cause problems as my iPad would be better than the wifes! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    jk2447 likes this.
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I think that whilst principals are good, we all have to weigh up the benefits/cons and every principal does have a price at the end of the day - and for the amount/benefit you are talking about I think it would be unwise.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. kishmbee

kishmbee Bit Poster

Congrats for the twenty-three percent payrise. Considering that most annual raises are around 6-7%, you are on lucky Technician. Did you get what you were looking for?

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

ha, just came across this.....FYI they paid me the extra OT :) cheap/tight b*****d that i am, i queried them and they paid with ALMOST no quibbles.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP