Pay rise - Is this cheeky?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by danielno8, Mar 7, 2012.

1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Hello All,

firstly a bit of background. I work for an IT services company, but i am based permanently at a clients site.

I am due an salary review annually, once my appraisal has been completed. For whatever reason my boss at my company kept putting this off for soo long (I started in August 09, therefore i should have been getting my second appraisal in August 11) but eventually here we are and i have now had my appraisal, and also my salary review. I am getting a payrise, which will also be backdated to October. Now, I have down around 65-70 hours of overtime since October, so surely i am entitled to having whatever i have missed out on in those payments also paid to me? Or am i being cheeky asking for this :twisted: My payrise was 23%, and a number of those overtime hours were done when getting time and a half or double time, and so the way i see it, the difference is a good sum of money.

What would you do?

P.S Technically i actually feel the payrise should be backdated to September also...i haven't mentioned that though.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Way I judge this is that...

A) If you were billing hours to a client then you'd be expecting payment.

B) If I were the boss and you didn't ask I would think you were a mug and I can get cheap work from you in the future.

I'd be asking when I can expect this back pay.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Of course, you also have to consider that fact that you got a twenty-three percent payrise. Most annual raises are around 5% tops - so you could have expected 10% for a 2 year raise. Push it, and you might find that you put yourself in bad standing.

What you are saying is "Thanks for the whopping payrise, but I want you to apply it to the situations where I was getting even more than the usual anyway".

Consider yourself lucky you are getting backdated pay at all. They could easily tell you that the payrise applies from your next paycheck onwards.

In response to 1/4's point A. Sure you'd bill them and expect pay, but if I raised my rates in July, would I then re-invoice the people I worked for since January, demanding the extra money? Of course not, since I would be told to f*ck off.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Fergal1982

Or consider this... given the economic climate, they could just as easily have made you redundant, and you could be sitting with no pay, looking for work. Perhaps you should count your blessings that you got the payrise at all, and are still in stable employment...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. danielno8

Thanks

I did get my payrise which was due in Aug 10, albeit i didn't get this until the December, and i didn't get it backdated.

Although i got a big payrise, i fully deserved this raise for the work i have done this year. I also deserved my salary to have been reviewed in a timely manner, so i do not think i should count myself lucky to have it backdated to when it was due.

6. danielno8

With that attitude, how can you ever get what you deserve? I'm no mug and i know when i am doing a good job. I am earning my company good money, so i can't just go around with the attitude that i am just lucky and should count my blessings otherwise i could be walked over.

7. HJE_Coops

HJE_Coops Bit Poster

frankly if your company is in a good enough position to offer 23% over 2 years, i'd sting them for the lot in back pay and overtime for sure

as you say, its your dues and clearly the place is raking it in, otherwise it'd offer you 2% or your marching orders if you piped up.

Certifications: 70-680
    WIP: 70-685
  8. danielno8

Lol, it's not over 2 years. It is since my last review which was in Dec 10. As far i am concerned this is up to date for Aug 11.

Additionally, i am based permanently at a clients site, so the rise i get is dependant on the client increasing their rates, not so much that my company are just 'raking it in'.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Is this cheeky?

Damned right it is, a 23% payrise in this climate is fantastic, to then ask for your OT payments to also be backdated is, in my opinion disdainful and cheap.
    If I were in the boat where I gave someone a 23% payrise and then they came to me looking for their OT from last year to be back dated I can tell you that I wouldn't be happy and what I would then do is move them from the current clients site to the one furthest and most difficult site to get to, understand that I can't sack him (I just gave him a 23% pay rise so he is obviously good) and I can't make him redundant (I don't want to pay him any extra if I can help it) so what I do is make him leave under his own volition, as he is contracted to work at whatever sites we do business at it's just unfortunate that he's needed at the site furthest away, but hey that's business but if he decides to move on because it's more difficult now well we're sorry to see you go but we understand (where as in fact we are now happy because we won't have to pay any more money out to you).

Honestly, be happy with the 23% pay rise, don't bite off your nose to spite your face because honestly it could come back to hit you in the arse if you appear too greedy (just be thankful you have a job and being paid well).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Sparky and jk2447 like this.
  10. danielno8

Fair enough. But the way i see it, is had my company done their job on time (appraisal + salary review) then this would never even have came up.

I don't buy all this "in this climate you should take what you get" nonsense. Remember, i wasn't given that pay rise out of the goodness of the companies heart, or for them to feel all fuzzy inside. I was given it because i had earned it, fair and square. I am not going to make a big thing of it, but if i can do my job at the clients site, the least my company can do as it gets paid is take care of my appraisals on time.

11. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

The way I'd approach is I would assume that my overtime back pay would be included. Wait for the back pay to come through and if it's not make a polite enquiry, direct to whoever does your pay (HR/Accounts whatever) as to why it wasn't included and if it's not supposed to be included why not. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, just care not to squeak to much as a very squeaky wheel gets replaced.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
    danielno8 likes this.
  12. danielno8

HAHAHA i love that last sentence. Cheers!

13. Fergal1982

Why bother asking the question then? You clearly have made up your mind already.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps there are other things going on in the company that meant that your appraisal was put back.

I wouldn’t ask for the overtime pay just now – could cause hassle you don’t need.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    danielno8 likes this.
  15. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think it is cheeky but its just my opinion, each to their own, there is no right or wrong answer. I hope you do well no matter what you do but in my eyes, its fixating on peanuts when you've just had thousands.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    danielno8 likes this.
  16. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

In a previous job when we had backdated pay rises they did also pay you the difference for any overtime you'd done during the back dated period, no idea if it's the norm though.

And 23% is a high rise, but to some extent I'd say it does depend on the salary being paid in the first place. 23% of say 18k takes you up to around 22k which is a relatively big jump, but for a company 4k isn't much in grand scheme of things when it could cost that much to recruit someone to replace you.

Obviously a bit different if we're talking 50k.

Also curious as to which services co it is the op works for :)

1/4 likes this.
  17. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Sorry but that is a little bit unfair as you don't know what he started on salary wise so 23% might not be a huge sum. I think if you work over your hours regularly then you should be paid or get the time back.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  18. Fergal1982

The value is irrelevant really. 23% in an annual review is fairly high no matter what the salary.

And he was paid for the hours OT, at time and a half or double time. What he is quibbling over, is whether his backdated pay increase should also apply to the OT hours (at the applicable rate, no doubt) in addition to the core salary backdating.

19. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I don't think its cheeky THINKING about it but after cold-hard though asking for it is cheeky, but after a 23% payrise I'd be happy with that - and be doubly happy its been backdated, they possibly could have decided not to do that.

I've been dealing with tax and money this evening so this really isn't much effort:

Thinking about it mathematically - 70 hours of overtime * 23% = 16 overtime hours "due"
    16 overtime hours after tax/NI = 16 * (1-(20% + 12%)) = 10.88 overtime hours due in your pocket.

Hourly rate is half of the number of 1000s in salary eg. 30k = £15ph

So Salary/2 * 10.88 * rate (1.5 or 2 for time&half or double) = Amount will be received.

On £30k, takehome is £1900.
    Before the extra 23%, you'd be on £24.4k, and takehome is £1600.
    Extra asked for £330 for double time, £240 for time/half

on £20k, takehome is £1350
    before extra 23%, you'd be on £16.3k and takehome is £1130
    Extra asked for £220 for double time, £160 for time/half

On a back of a fag packet calculation - it seems its equivalent to 1 extra months "after tax in pocket payrise" money and that's for double time, less if its time/half - not worth rocking the boat is it???

And so backs up my thought that asking for it is cheeky - its not worth it!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  20. danielno8

To me it was more the principal - that extra money was mine, however small. In the grand scheme of things it worked out to be around half of my weeks wages.

I fully earned my pay rise, i also earned it to be on time (i can live with a couple months late, but there is no way the company was too busy to give me 2 hours of time to complete my appraisal over a 5 month period), so i don't agree with the argument that i should count myself lucky.

The main reason i asked this question as to see if anyone had any other reasons why I shouldn't ask. And i guess it's right that it's not worth the RISK of rocking the boat for that amount of money.

jk2447 likes this.