Pay rise anyone?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sparky, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, just wondering if anyone has taken the lead and spoke to their boss about a pay rise and how you went about the whole thing.

Just realised I’m going to be on the same wage for another year even though over the past year my job role has changed dramatically. More installations, more out of hours work and generally more BS.

Part of me wants to leave (why should I have to ask for a payrise??!) however maybe I should voice my concerns to my boss and see what happens. At my last review there was not even a mention of pay. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that the best way to approach the subject is usually formally, in writing.

State your reasons for wanting a pay rise, why you feel you deserve it and what advantages giving you one would bring to the company.

If this is all down in writing then your employer has to consider it. He may just say no, but it will be on his/her mind when it next comes to annual review time.

8)

3. Sparky

That’s the problem, I have just had my review and to be honest I was expecting a rise after all the extra responsibilities I have been given over the past year but pay was not even brought up in conversation. I should have been more prepared and brought it up myself. :(

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If I was asked to extra jobs or take on more responsibilities then I would have asked for extra pay.

Maybe you should do as Simon says and put it in writing, stating the reasons you believe a pay rise should be given.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

A quick informal chat to sound him out may be an idea, before going full on with the written approach. Depends on the type of working relationship you have with your boss though I suppose!

You're right though, you should have brought it up at the review! :)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yes please, how much you going to pay me? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Sparky

Not to sound arrogant but I thought it was the whole reason for the review. Basically a few guys have left the company and I’m doing their jobs and also mine. So I thought I had proved myself over the year and now it would be a chance to discuss pay. The guys who left were getting £10k more than me. :eek:

8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I hear you on that one! I took over the role of IT Manager, however my predecessor was on over £14k more than me.

As for getting a payrise, the first time I requested a pay rise was done thru a series of informal chats. However this time, it looks like I'll have to incorporate it into a business plan, we're planning an expansion (subject to approval). It's funny how when it comes to support staff there is never any money, however when it comes to employing teaching staff there is always money??? For example, so far for every 1 teacher that has left the school has employed 2 - go figure...

-ken

p.s. sorry not only do I have a chip on my shoulder with private training companies, but also with teachers (well some of them) :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Simple answer to you question then Sparky is that if you don't ask, then you don't get. :biggrin

Your boss is most likely aware of how much extra work you are doing, but obviously as being in business is all about making a profit then because you never raised it in the review then they are prepared to keep paying you what they are. I have been there myself.

Raise the issue with your boss, personally I would go the formal route, so that he/she know's where you stand. I'll bet that there is money there for you, all you need to do it ask for it.

8)

10. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Exactly what Simon says (excuse the pun!) if you don't ask you don't get.

I'd send a straight to the point e-mail to your manager asking for a pay review, stating the extra responsibilities you have taken on and any major projects/achievements over the last year.

Have a look around the job sites for similar roles and compare the salaries on offer, or use http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/ - have your facts ready.

Then perhaps follow it up after a few days with a conversation asking if he's had time to consider.

In an ideal world we'd all get regular reviews and pay raises but in the real world companies don't want to incur extra expense without good reason. Grab the bull by the horns and go for it - I've been in a similar situation in the past and it's only when I started to realise my worth and make some noise that I got to a decent salary.

Good luck!

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Leave. Or at least threaten to.

Last year I got peed off that I wasn't actually doing the job i was employed (and took a pay cut) to do. I went out to a couple of agencies, got some interviews, got offered a job somewhere else paying another 9k on top of my then-current salary then took that into a meeting with my team leader. To be honest, I wasn't expecting them to make me an offer, but they did and, whilst it wasn't quite up to the same as the other role, it was closer than I would have thought (more than half the difference) and I got assurances that the role I was doing would change into something significantly more like what I had originally envisaged. Yes, it was awkward turning the other offer down, but as far as I'm concerned, employers take the piss out of their charges more and more in IT every year, so I didn't lose too much sleep over it.

Of course, now I'm even more peed off than I was this time last year, and have just had an interview for a role paying 15k more than my (raised) salary. Can't see them making the necessary assurances about the role or meeting that financial leap this time round, so looks like I may be moving on soon :twisted:

Sparks, if you don't mind me saying so, you have excellent technical knowledge and have proved time and time again on this forum that your troubleshooting skills are top notch. I think you are in a serious position of strength and - though I don't know your current salary, I'm guessing you are seriously underpaid considering your skills. Test the water elsewhere - the job market in sunny Scotland may not be quite what it is in london at the moment, but a man of your talents should be able to prove his worth to his employer by giving them a 'gentle reminder' that his skills are in demand elsewhere and the financial recompense you receive should be considerably higher in light of that fact!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. Sparky

Cheers for the kind words Zeb and thanks to everyone else for their advice, its appreciated!

I’ve been thinking about this all day and into the evening and I have decided to get the MCSE finished (almost there!) and then revise my CV and start signing up to various IT agencies.

Looks like things will quieten down on the job front as we get closer to Christmas (as always) but if I end up leaving in the New Year then that wouldn’t be too bad. 8)

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sounds like a bit of a cop out to me Sparky.

Ultimately though you have to ask if you enjoy your job and if it keeps you challenged. If the answer is yes then approach your boss, the worst that he can say is no, in which case he's already made your mind up for you.

:duel:cussing:deal:beers2

14. Sparky

Possibly! :biggrin

The fact that I didn’t get a pay rise has *almost* made my mind up for me. If I can get a concrete offer elsewhere then I should be in a stronger position. 8)

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

There was an article in certmag a little while ago about the right way to go about asking for a pay rise. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hey Sparky did anyone else get a pay rise when they attended their annual review? I'm just thinking that there may be financial reasons, ie the company may be going through tough times or whatever. It makes no logical sense to me, to forego issuing annual pay rises as that is always going to demoralise the staff.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. Sparky

I asked one of the other guys if pay was mentioned at his review (didn’t want to ask too many personal questions) and he said nothing was mentioned whatsoever.

The guys that have left (that were on the megabucks) have been replaced with new first line support staff as we have taken on more customers over the past year. I know this for sure as I ended up installing the network or auditing any existing IT infrastructure before we started supporting it.

Also we are currently expanding other areas of the business as we are recruiting admin, marketing and sales staff so it *looks* like the cash is there.

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

In which case it's time to 'ask' for a rise :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Sparky

Yup, my concern is that I dont get one and then I have to sit in the same office as my boss after. If I have something else lined up then I can just hand in my notice and make a sharp exit! :biggrin

20. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

...or the overdraft has been extended/expanded!

Make a business case for a pay rise, the new postions reflect that someone has made a succesful business case to employ new staff.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...