Pay as you go USB for laptop

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by UKDarkstar, Mar 26, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi all

I've an occasional nead for web use on my laptop and am looking at a pay as you go usb dongle.

Anyone got any experience as to the best offerings or comparison websites ?

What are the main issues for usuage/service/costs ?

Thanks in advance

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

http://mobile.broadbandgenie.co.uk/

I have an o2 PAYG dongle, has always worked and isn't too expensive.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

My stepmum uses 3 and I have to say that I tried it while I was setting it up and found it nice & steady. But then again check out the coverage in your area.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I'm use 3 and it is excellent. I know people who are very happy with o2 aswell so I guess its just a case of checking the coverage for where you plan on using it.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I've got a PAYG dongle from Vodafone. It's pretty decent. £15 for 1GB of data I think, but it has the advantage that that £15 top up lasts almost indefinitely. I use it in areas where I can't get coverage with my Blackberry Bold which is on Orange.

If it wasn't for Orange being such an awful network, that's one of the big advantages of having a Blackberry - tethering is included in your internet plan.

6. digiboy007

digiboy007 New Member

I copied the below from another website .You can get it virtually for free.

Hope it helps

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/349877/02-broadband-payg-dongle-29-35-but-/

If you go onto quidco and search for O2, third option down, and click into it they are offering.

£23.33 for SIM only products
    £35 for Pay Monthly (Contract) (single commission per order basis)
    £3.50 FOR PAY-AS-YOU-GO (SINGLE COMMISSION PER ORDER BASIS)
    £40 FOR MOBILE BROADBAND
    110 for Samsung Pay Monthly Contract Sales (G600 Mighty, U900 Soul, U800 Sleek handsets only)

I highlighted the important 2 in Bold.

So by going through quidco, to O2, and getting the pay as you go dongle you are straight away making a profit of 14.60 pounds for nothing.

I have checked my quidco account, the order has been tracked, verified and in my bank account.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

WIP: A+,MCP,Cisco
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys, some useful info in there.

I like the fact that the Vodafone credits don't run out whereas the others are on a time limit if you don't use it.

I may wait a bit to see what happens job-wise as coverage is not great in my local area.

Thanks for the info tho'

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to say this about vodafone, their software that comes with the USB mobile broadband is very hard to get off. We trialled them here (last year) and while the usage was very good, when it came to getting their software off we ended up having to re-format the laptop (some of the reg keys we couldn't remove - thus stopping any other network connection, it may have been the build of the laptop; but we weren't the only ones to complain about this). Granted they may have changed the software since then, however it's left a bad taste in our mouth...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security