PAT Testing CRT Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MLP, Nov 6, 2009.

1. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Thanks. We've tested a few monitors as class 2's, and they all failed. If thats the case, so be it. It will be fun notifying senior management we need cash for another 500 monitors.

Thanks. I'll definitely wont be doing this and neither will my Tech. My direct manager has said the same.

Thanks to you all for your help. I think I'll just test the IEC leads for now, and carry out visual inspections for the monitors and base units. I'll let the business manager why we are just able to do this, and then its up to him whether to get a qualified sparky to do the actual test or whether visual inspection is enough.

Next week is gonna be a long one.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well they are not exactly class 2 as they are not *double insulated* however, that is by design. and a sparky is unlikely to understand, as it's really delving into electronics as opposed to electrics. Either way, i am absolutely certain, that a visual inspection is the best that you can do. Unless you wish to spend a few years studying electronics.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

When i used to PAT CRTs were treated as class 1 as they are not double insulated so therefore not class 2. Class 2 states double insulated appliances. You would need to connect the earth bind clip to the vga connector to get any sort of reading and some times get false negatives. But better a false negative than false positive! And never stick a screwdriver through the chassis as you cant be sure if its touching anything or what its touching. And checking the plug wont help as they use teh same iec plugs as a PC which is class 1, but tested as IT at a lower current.
    What tester are you using? i know teh seaward supanova and Megger PAT4 can test IT equpiment safely.
    As for being qualified, i do have the CG 2237 cert, but you do only have to be Competent, and thats determined by your employer. If they feel you are competent thats enough.

I can check for you on monday, i work for megger on the software support anyway. Will speak to some guys who can calrify or confirm for you.

(and please tell em you dont PAT 8 hrs a day everyday? thats mind numbing which is why i gave it up!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

I think a visual inspection is the way to go, and its so much quicker. Thanks for your help on this one. Hardware in general is not my strong point, let alone electrics / electronics. I'm much more of a software type.

Thanks. I have no idea what tester I am using. I'll look on monday, but its a hand help type with an IEC socket on the top, next to a socket for the class 1 adapter which has a crocodile clip on the end. It has a plug socket just below the screen.

So far, we have only been testing IEC leads, which is fine. The tester doesn't have an option to test at 110v, so have ruled out testing base units.

I'm only testing for a couple of hours a day, and thats boring enough!

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They asked for it! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!