Passion

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Phoenix, Jun 24, 2008.

?

Are you passionate about technology? list examples in reply

1. Yes

69.2%
  2. No

30.8%
  1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Wouldn't say passionate, certainly interested

How broad are you being when you say technology? If you are referring to IT specifically, I'm forever thumbing through the catalogues I get from comupter suppliers and am keen to see how things develop. I also enjoy seeing how software develops, for example, from being an avid user of PhotoShop back in '98 (when I think it was 5.0 that was all that rage) to the now CS3 and how it has advanced (or in some cases, hasn't)

One area I do have a real interest in is military technology. I am fascinated by the history of conflict, especially things like arms races - I find it amazing that warring sides compete for advanced weaponry, and in some cases fail miserable (bombs strapped to trained dogs during World War II, for example, very bad move) - and how communcations have improved. Exactly like TimoftheC said, I like hearing about innovations years back that are now an integral part of everyone's life, and also things invented for a purpose but implemented in a different way (example, the roads the Romans built were originally for troop transport, now everyone feels the benefits of them)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that I lost my passion for technology a while back. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in technology, I'm just not passionate about it any more.

I enjoy learning about technologies, but for me to do that I have to have a need for it. Gadgets don't excite me, innovations that will change the way that I/we work and do things do.

Sometimes I wish that the world would slow down to allow me to just catch up with whats already out there! :oops:

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Technology really bugs me.

I've got about 30 buttons on my TV remote and I only know what 4 of them do.

When people hear that I work 'in IT' I get the usual 'oh, my laptop is doing something funny' or 'I'm getting a strange message on my mobile phone' and I'm really not interested.

People keep trying to show me their latest gadgets like I should care.
    I don't.

I've got a colleague (not in IT) and if he wants to remember a phone number he'll save it to his mobile, bluetooth it to his PDA, save it onto a USB stick... Christ.
    I write it in the back of my diary.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

On every spare half hour or more i get at work.....I've got my head in a book.
    And every single night I'm glued to the monitor tapping away at my keyboard till my eye lids are to heavy to look up anymore!

I suppose that's passionate enough!?

Certifications: CIW Professional
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

lol, par for the course I'm afraid. Just be thankful your not a medical doctor, when people find out they might want to show you the problem with their genitalia or whatever.... listening to someone go on about their page file is easier :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

The corporate world sucked the thrill out of it for me. It's all about not rocking the boat and not making your superiors look bad... or maintaining the status quo and making your superiors look good, if you'd rather think of it that way. There's no reward for dedication and initiative. Quite the contrary actually, you might even be punished for it. Just what are you trying to prove anyway? That you're better than everyone else? Trust me, you don't want to be the only guy in a nice suit when everyone else in the office is wearing khakis and golf shirts. You don't want to be the guy coming in at 7AM when the rest of the office shows up sometime between 8 and 9. You want to be the guy that's sits quietly in his cubicle for ten years and then becomes boss due to seniority, not ability. Passion is for young guys who don't know any better yet. :ohmy

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

bar humbug :twisted: :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

was thinking the same thing! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I have my moments but if I'm honest with myself the passion just isn't there anymore. Instead of jumping into a new study book and ploughing through the pages I've started to collect them. I have about 6 sat next to my bed, and I've maybe read 11 pages - total.

The long hours and lengthy on-call periods haven't helped but I think the main reason is because I'm not working on stuff I want to learn. The areas of technology that excite me aren't part of my job...

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need to look for a new job mate, if you are not motivated this early in your career then you need to make a change. Its a long time before you get to retire. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow, dude, you've *really* worked for the wrong companies. I've never gotten that anywhere I've worked. :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Jesus!......you need to cheer up! :D Anyway....i wouldn't mind being that guy if it meant being boss man one day! And i like wearing a suit! :blink
    I would draw the line at coming in early before anyone else though.......wouldn't like to be to much of a jobsworth!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well I'm glad I don't work for the sort of company that Crito describes.

My company is impressed that I stick my neck out on occasions, and rock the boat. They encourage me to to talk to our competitors in industry forums.

If you work for the sort of company that Crito describes then leave and get a proper job! :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

:eek:The only place that could survive in an environment like that is either a monopoly or a government sector job. There's no ambition, no desire and from your description a complete waste of any talent that is employed there. :(

15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Am I passionate - yes
    ...but so long as it's in perspecitive. I'm passionate about many things, my family being front & center.

Technology is what I chose as a career because being involved with it lets me see what's new, test upcoming technologies (from Blackberries when 1st introduced to the Cisco ASR platform now) I love imagining how the future will change based on the technology developed today.

I also like the corporate world. So nothing peeks my interest more than an executive in the IT world that knows their subject. A CTO / CIO with a financial background doesn't impress me...