Passion

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Phoenix, Jun 24, 2008.

?

Are you passionate about technology? list examples in reply

1. Yes

69.2%
  2. No

30.8%
  1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I hang around with a lot of really passionate folks in the technology field, everything from development to green tech, blue chip to SMB

I want to know if you feel you are passionate about technology, and list an example of something that shows that passion

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Huh! lets think, well yeah cos after work with working with computers all day still can't wait to get home and back on my computer:).

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I love technology, I love using it, reading about and watching blog or TV shows about it.

My main thing has always been hardware, I like seeing new pieces of kit come out and finding out how they work and what they do.

I have miro which has RSS feeds on it and the shows I watch are the Buzz report with Molly Wood, Webb Alert and Tekzilla quick cuts, I also watch GeekBrief.

Anything tech wise has always enthralled me apart from programming I have never been able to get my head around it apart from Basic and creating databases in Oracle with Sql.

People will often see me in WH Smith reading the lastest custom PC or magazine on New computer hardware, I often get told to get out as I'll just read the magazines without buying them :D

Now what would make my Love of technology better is if I actually worked with it instead of using it (if you know what I mean).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When my wife suggests that I don't bring my computer on vacation, I tremble. :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Interest and occasional excitement, yes. "Passion", no. While I enjoy puzzling through problems and creating good documentation for technology, it's not the driving force in my life. I'm probably more passionate about my faith than anything else, but that's not dependent on technology.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd be defined by the girlfriend as passionate or obsessed :) but on what parts or how I couldn't answer - I'm always keen to see whats over the next horizon, a sort of "what am I going to learn today?", and that gets me excited. Seeing what new developments come out - the interface in the Wii for one - and how they can be used to further our lives. If I had a bit more time, I'd love to read some of the research papers being produced by PhD's about their discoveries!

As for the ability to help develop, I'm afraid I lack in the imagination :D :p

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Yes, and about every session of it, from medical to astronomy, from high tech to low life, from the science of languages to mathematics.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Games. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Virtualization......WOW

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Passionate? Yes.

Reasons: Still working at 7pm (the joy of remote access), currently finishing off an install I started yesterday and need to lock down two DCs at remote sites.

Also got a remote desktop sesh running on my test LAN which has a DC and 2 Exchange Servers so I can get on with the 70-284.

Just kicked off my first Server 2008 project this morning as well (go me!) but it probably wont go live until 2009! A customer I support is concerned about the age of his servers (he should be, they have been upgraded from 2k to 2003!) so when the extended warrenty expires next year it should be time to roll out 2008 on some new servers and use the old ones for WSUS etc. Im working on a migration strategy now.

And I still have time to make a cup of tea. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Sad as it may seem, this [the quote] is what I can get passionate about 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

At the moment the thing is Virtualisation with thin clients.

Specifically VDI with VMWare or XenDesktop with JackPC

I'll keep you all informed

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I voted liek Trip... NO!

i'm not passionate about tech. Yes i use it, Yes i'm interested in it, Yes i like to chat about it causually, but does it make me hot and ecited? do i get an orgasm thinking about it? NO!

I have guys at work who get all excited about the latest gadgets and what they can do or what they compare to. Most of them go out and buy it as soon as its released. But after 2 months teh gadget gets forgotten about, or a newer bit of must have tech is out etc. For me, i think whats the point? yes the techs nice, yes it may look cool, but would i keep using it in the long run? would it last mor than a few months? the answer is probably no. I'm happy to use tech that fits a purpose, but i dont have to have the best and latest. I don't need another gadget that does the same as one i bought last week, or does something that i may need at some point once in the next ten years.

Its nice to know about the latest and greatest, but its something else to get off on it.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I myself don't buy the latest and greatest techie stuff or software for myself... I'm still pretty excited to learn about it, though. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Not sure I buy that buying the latest and greatest makes people anything close to passionate, also not sure that orgasms over gadgets come into it :)

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Poor choice of words on your part...or was that intentional? :eek::oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

what do you think?
    lol

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Absolutely yes.

At the moment I'm almost evangelical about infrastructure virtualisation, SANs and application virtualisation. I can see massive benefits now to almost every business at the SME level and up. Still too early for small environments to take advantage of it at anything other than a test level, but in a few years I think a lot of even the smallest businesses with maybe only two or three servers will be able to benefit from virtualisation.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  19. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Suppose I'm a product of the modern age in that there is so many new inventions and upgrades these days that I can get excited about new things that come out and have a real interest in them for a while, but after a time that dissipates. Few modern bits of technology make me "passionate" any longer (hey - aint that what the wife is for?)

Take the flash drive (or pen drive or what ever you want to call it) when they first came out I considered it to be an amazing invention - I was really excited that I could get nearly 250 floppys worth of date on one device that didn't just wipe itself when it came across a magnetic source, or leave bits of springs behind in the drive bay when it got jammed. Nowadays, it is just a day to day tool that I expect to perform without a hitch.

In my schooldays I remember a teacher explaining the world wide excitement when the first ball point pen was invented and how in modern times people are used to such things and pay them little attention. What technology today causes a world wide storm?

Oh - I answered "No" ny the way - exited and interested, yes, passionate, no.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  20. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If I wasn't passionate about technlogy, I wouldn't have started a career in it. However my passion is slowly wavering, I think it has something to do with pay :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security