Passed my CCNA - Thanks to commsupport!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Michael R, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Michael R

Michael R Bit Poster

Took the CCNA yesterday and passed with the score of 907 :)

Just thought i'd share my experience to help others out (as that was the main reason I signed up to this forum many years ago now was to get help / ideas for my certification progression).

I attended the 6 Day CCNA course down in london run by the guys at commsupport (had previously a year or so ago attended the free online CCNA course run by joe one of the instructors at commsupport) and was impressed with how the topics were explained, so when my employer came to booking me in for some CCNA training I asked if I could be booked on their course.

Very impressed with the course, and the topic's covered as well as actually having a full lab setup for myself so there was no need to share the kit with others.

The fact it's hand's on, and when you've done the lab's the instructor then comes round breaks it and you have to fix it is defiantly a good way of learning as it confirms that you do actually understand the practical lab as oppose to just following instructions.

And speaking to some of the others on the course it was defiantly the right decision. I know a few others on the course had been on similar courses run by other training company's and they felt after going with commsupport the money they had spent with other company's had been wasted.

For me attending the course wasn't enough to pass the exam, mainly because you need time to digest the pure amount of information taken on in the 6 days, and this is what I liked about the material available to me once the course had finished. You are provided with a downloads section on the commsupport website where you are able to view and watch training videos for ever single topic covered (and topics required for the CCNA).

So I then spent the next 5 weeks working through all these as well as building custom labs in packet tracer, and also in a home lab (I brought a couple of 2950's off ebay and then 3 1841's as well, as whilst packet tracer and GNS3 are good), you can't beat hands on the real kit.

Now the CCNA is done, I'm defiantly going to be booking the CCNA Security and hopefully at the end of the year the CCNP with commsupport, and progress up the Cisco ladder this way.

As for the exam itself, having only taken the Microsoft exams before, this was completely different and I must admit I did enjoy the simulations provided as it's real hands on (by this I mean the fact you can console on to the kit and have to fault find) is how exams should be.

I can't think of an area I wasn't specifically tested on to be honest, everything came up from RIP, IPV6, Wireless, EIGRP, STP, RSTP, NAT, ACL, OSPF etc.. So I would deffo make sure you know all areas covered.

I'll be honest out of all the topics on the CCNA the only area (going in to the exam) I still hadn't got my head round was IPV6, but I can now spend some time on this so I Can get to grips with it, so in a way i'm glad I only had one question on IPV6 as any more and It would have been guess work.

If you've got any questions then feel free to reply or drop me a message. One final point I also used the CCNA Cert Library by Wendell Odom mainly for a bit of bed time reading, so for me hitting it from all angles (Reading, watching the videos, and hand on lab) is the only way I can take on board information as doing one or the other never seems to work for me, I have to have the hands on lab's along with either reading or videos!

Certifications: CCNA, MCP, MCTS, MCITP:SA, VTSP 5, MCITP:EMA 2010
    WIP: MCITP:EA, CCNA Sec / CCNP
    Notes_Bloke, dmarsh and cisco lab rat like this.
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations:) as your hard work and determination has paid off.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:D

Great write-up of your experience at Commsupport - thanks.

NB

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Srikanth

Srikanth New Member

Congrats Michael, as I believe in that the efforts we put in into never fail, so you did it and all the best for your days ahead.

7. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Congratz :) Another commsupport graduate, good to see.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  8. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats!

I've only ever attended a webinar by commsupport but I have heard nothing but positive things from students and other IT professionals that have dealt with them.

Such reasonable prices as well...its a shame I don't do any networking yet.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  9. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I would love to do the CCNA with them in the near future. Do they do the course in their Manchester office as it's a lot closer for me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  10. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi Mike

Well done on the pass, you worked for it, I beasted you in the class like an animal you deserve it. Thanks for the write up.

Hi Techtock. Sorry I don't teach any longer in Manchester, getting old and tired dragging myself around the country, I now only run courses down in London Town

Cheers

Joe

On another note, I have not been around much on the forums lately due to working like a dog in the classroom and studying for all sorts. Any way if you fancy seeing a little bit more of me (Who would not :-) ) I am now streaming the first hour of every class we run live on line, here is the link JOES CHOPS if you ask I can dance for the camera like a romainian bear.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree