Passed my A+ Essentials today!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by nick6196, Jan 23, 2009.

1. nick6196

nick6196 New Member

Hi,

I'm new on the forums. I was working as a scientist in the Biotech industry up until last October when I was made redundant. Over the last 3-4 months I have been looking for a new job but also studying for the A+ on the side as well. I decided that I would try to turn some of my interests into qualifications and since I have been tinkering with PCs in my spare time for years now I decided to do the A+. If I don't manage to get another job in science it could become an alternative career ultimately, if I do, then the A+ will provide me with an understanding of IT which is useful to have in any job these days.

I bought the Mike Myers All-in-one book and the Examcram book for practise at answering questions. Where those sources have been lacking I have looked stuff up online. I followed Mike Myers' plan (ie) reading through the whole book once and then going back through it again writing the key facts down because it sticks in your memory that way. I condensed Mike Myers' 1200 pages down to about 100 pages of my own notes alongside pulling an old PC to bits and then putting it back together. Then I revised my own notes and did lots of practise questions and then made more notes about the questions I answered incorrectly. I have worked pretty hard on it for over three months now--how people do these exams in 2 weeks on these intensive training courses I'm not quite sure!

These exams definitely aren't easy! Anyone who says they are probably has lots of IT industry experience behind them. I found the Essentials exam pretty tough when I took it earlier today so I was very pleased at the end when I received a score of 800. I'm feeling very good about it tonight--time for a few drinks I think! Next stop IT Technician!

Nick

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done

I found the Essentials a lot harder than the IT tech exam.

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats, and welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Welcome and congrats on the pass! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass! :D

Oh, and hiya.

6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats, sound like you deserve it, well done mate and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Welcome and well done.:D

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. gochieng

gochieng Bit Poster

congs man.
    I totally agree with you, exams are really hard. those who pass it hard deserve the kingly rests
    gochieng

Certifications: MCP, MCDBA
    WIP: MCSE
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Congrats on the pass:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Congrats and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  12. nick6196

nick6196 New Member

Thanks for your comments guys. I have heard a few people say that they thought the IT Technician exam was easier than the Essentials and I've also heard some say that it is the other way around. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

Cheers,
    Nick

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+