1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passed my A+ 701 and my year plan

Discussion in 'A+' started by devin_93, Dec 7, 2011.

1. devin_93

devin_93 New Member

Hi Guys, firstly I'm new here and this is my first post, hello :)

Secondly I would just like to say I'm only just starting my career in IT, I'm currently on an apprenticeship scheme which lasts a year and covers 11 months worth of 1st/2nd line support and compTIA A+, Microsoft 7 qualification (not sure what it was listed as here, if anyone knows please let me know) and Microsoft server 2008 (same as previous).

I've already passed my A+ 701 exam and the 702 is right around the corner, but i was thinking, if i do the network+ and maybe security+ within this year on my own accord it would put me in a great position after this year, however I'm not sure how hard that would be considering the other qualifications I'm doing, but the reason I thought that is because i checked out some of the material and it appears to just build on certain parts of A+ so my questions are as follows:

How hard are the Network+ and Security+ exams+material?

Would I be in as good a position as I think with them?

Lastly how long will it take to learn the material?

Thanks for reading, any advise is highly appreciated :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The Network+ would have some information that will help you in your other studies.
    I would hold off on the Sec+.
    Firstly, you seem to have a fair bit on your plate anyway.
    Secondly, I don't think it will give you much useful knowledge for your first job.
    Thirdly, I believe that passing the Sec+ revalidates your A+ and N+ so you can get a little bit more mileage out of those two by leaving it until after your other certs.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
    Boffy likes this.
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums.

As Soundian said, take the N+, its fantastic for first-line work as it teaches you all the details you will need to know about networking on a basic level.

Leave Sec or S+ until you have more experience, just focus on your Windows 7 client exam afterwards (70-680).

This might help plan your career (you're currently at the purple area, head towards green/support technician):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGM0FlQXyB8/TDWaZoLiNeI/AAAAAAAAAE4/raekoTXkGsI/s1600/ICT.png

8)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. devin_93

devin_93 New Member

Thanks for the advise guys, ive got my N+ book on order, i then found out its changing early next year xD but thats ok, i can still at least learn stuff for my current job :)

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Shouldn't take long to sit and it doesn't change until late 2012 (August 31st).

You've got plenty of time 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. devin_93

devin_93 New Member

Oh I was under the impression it was changing January, but thats great, once again thanks

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

They normally overlap by a few months so it all depends on how long your exam provider keeps the old exam available. They should have both available for a while so make sure you select the right one when booking.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. devin_93

devin_93 New Member

Thanks, ill make sure to watch out :)

9. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  10. The_Mo

The_Mo New Member

what apprenticeship scheme are you doing?