passed my 272 working on 271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by sexyflanders, Sep 9, 2008.

1. sexyflanders

sexyflanders New Member

Hey everyone,

Last week I passed my 272 and I'm working on my 271. I'm planning on taking hopefully with in the next two months. What should I focus on I've noticed a lot of "user upgraded from Windows 98"" questions.

also what would be a good next cert I'm looking @ either a CCENT or MCSA. I've worked for 3 1/2 years and have an associates degree. I've done lots of server stuff and networking bnut never been "the man" to be the one responsible for it.

I may be losing my job soon and trying to be marketable (our company was sold) I know the MCDST is a good start but I want to get out of help desk and get my hands more dirty.

Thanks.

Certifications: MCP (272)
    WIP: MCDST 271
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Getting the MCDST is a great way to get out of help desk... it'll help get you a desktop support job where, hopefully, you can assist with some of that server administration you crave.

Once you've got 6 months of experience assisting with server administration (not just enabling accounts in AD), the MCSA is a worthwhile option. I wouldn't recomment the CCENT until you start messing with Cisco gear at your workplace... typically after you're a server admin and starting to assist with network administration.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sexyflanders

sexyflanders New Member

Thanks for the help :) I've mucked a bit in both worlds my old job there was only three of so we all wore different hats but now I'm working for a large worldwide company. I'm going to go ahead and start doing my MCSA after I finish my 271

Thanks

Certifications: MCP (272)
    WIP: MCDST 271