Passed MCDST - what next?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by geevee, Nov 10, 2008.

1. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

Well, I'm a happy person today as I passed my 70-272 with a score of 838! I already passed the 70-271 back at the end of September so now I'm a fully paid up member of the MCDST club :p

I used the two MS Press books which I found to be probably the best source overall but, I'll have to concur with other members that sometimes they do miss out a few little bits of info here and there which came up on my exams. Bearing that in mind, I'd also recommend the Sybex book which covers both exams nicely and the Exam Cram books. The Exam Cram books are a little out of date but I find it helps me personally to get as many angles on a subject as possible and take the bet bits from all of them. I started the MCDST straight after my Network+ so overall it's been about 3 1/2 months study. They are by no means the toughest exams but I have found they have given me a great insight into the way MS wants you to understand and learn it's topics.

So, I still have the exam bug as I really enjoyed the pressure :twisted: and I'm fishing for a bit of advice really. I'm looking to take on the MCSA next and wanted to get an impression as to whether people would recommend the XP or Vista client exams? My main experience is in XP but I have used Vista quite a bit now as my company (who are subsidising my exams) are now bringing in more and more Vista machines. I thought reading up on the OS and then taking the exam would be the ideal opportunity to learn it inside out? Also, I'm reading that Windows 7 is essentially based on Vista architecture so would this be a good track to take bearing that in mind? Hmm.. so many questions :P

Well, for the next few weeks at least.. I think I'll be having a study break :morebeer

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

XP Exams, the OS will be around for a while yet :p

Grats on the MCDST! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. thepureintheheart

thepureintheheart Bit Poster

Congrats! :)
    Maybe 70-621? You will get MCITP & MCTS.

WIP: A+, Network+, MCDST
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass 8)

6. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

That looks interesting! Snipped this quote from the MS page:

Note Exam 70-621 can be used as credit for any certification requiring Exam 70-620: TS: Windows Vista, Configuring, as a required or elective exam. In other words, Exam 70-621 satisfies the Exam 70-620 requirement in all cases.

Am I right in thinking that means this would qualify for the client exam required for the MCSA as well? Thanks for the tip :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Congrats on the pass. XP exam will be around for a while but it wont hurt to have an eye for the future, (Vista, Window7), have to keep up with them.

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  8. thepureintheheart

thepureintheheart Bit Poster

geevee, I think so. 70-621 can be used for 70-620.

WIP: A+, Network+, MCDST