Passed MCDST Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by mic233, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mic233

mic233 New Member

Hi to all, i'm new to the forum and basically looking for a little help and advice on where to go next having passed my MCDST last week. I don't currently work in IT but do have a keen interest and have always been able to work my way around a computer.

Basically having passed my MCDST i am looking for some ideas on what to study next. My local college (where i did my MCDST) also offer the Comptia A+ and Network+ courses. My intention is to complete both of these Certs and also i aim to upgrade my MCDST to MCITP. I currently use Vista at home and think i could probably teach myself the bulk of this with the aid of a good book.

Do you think that this would be a good path? My eventual aim is to study MCSA and become a systems administrator however i know this is someway off happening as i'm not actually in an IT job YET.

Can anyone advise me on a good book to help me upgrade my MCDST to MCITP and also offer me some advice on what certs i should study in order to become employable.

Your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: MCDST
  2. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I think the MCDST should make you employable tbh mate, so i'd start looking for work now.

As for the upgrade as far as i know (i may be wrong) there is not a single book for the upgrade exam, 70-621, you have to learn both the 620 and 622. As you have already got your MCDST you only need to take 3 more exams to get MCSA but I'd deffinatly wait untill you were in a job to start that. And as for the A+ i don't really think it's worth while tbh. But i know others will probably disagree with me.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, I would say concentrate on the following first before you start moving to the MCITP: EST and the MCSA:

1. Your A+ & Network+ &
    2. Job hunting.

The MCITP level is aimed at people with two or more years of experience as an IT professional (See here). It's not set in stone, but just remember that at the end of the day certifications aren't the be all and end all, plus they are not supposed to be used as a substitute for experience.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. mic233

mic233 New Member

Thanks for the advice so far. My tutor also advised me to consider the A+ and N+ before doing anything else i just wanted some other opinions so thanks.

Although i will be doing both certs at my local college, they aren't available until september so i was wondering if there were any books you could recommend to sort of get a head start particular A+ which i will probably focus on first

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for A+ and Network+.

If you want to get a head start... or if you want to knock it out BEFORE the college course, because you really don't HAVE to have a class for the A+... is to get the A+ All-in-One Exam Guide Sixth Edition by Meyers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. mic233

mic233 New Member

Hi guys, back again seeking a little more advice. As you know i have completed my mcdst and i would really like to know how a lot of you managed to get your first IT job, maybe a little advice on what to include in my CV?

At the moment i'm looking for 1st line desktop support jobs and such but even a lot of these state that you must have previous experience! I'm looking for some tips to try and make myself employable in such a role.

Thanks in advance.

7. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I was in the same boat as you this time last year mate, I was looking at first line support jobs and jobs at schools ect. Managed to get a first line support just last november and im still in that now. Though I am looking for other jobs but having no luck.

Do you have any customer service skills? eg. shop work?

8. mic233

mic233 New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I have worked in a supermarket and done some waitering and currently work as an office administrator in which a large part of my job is to provide customer service and handle queries etc.

9. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I'd really push your customer service skills on your CV then, say about how you deal with all types of customers, act professionally ect. A few people who are on tier 1 at my place came onto the job with no IT qualifications and just with strong customer service skills. I'd focus on customer service, and then include the MCDST to put you above the rest.

10. mic233

mic233 New Member

Cheers mate. Thanks alot for your advice, i will try that and see where it gets me. :D