Passed MCDST however have questions

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RedGnomos, Jul 9, 2009.

1. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

easy its A,

it would eat your foot, if one gremlin was giving you trouble then two would be crazy, and we all know what happens when water is added!

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Okay cool.. so when I said:
    Then this should have been fine and I do have an understanding of the NDA (thanks BM) as I thought\knew I did... all-be-it 'OR' should have been 'AND'.. damn my logical operators :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you said for example "Is MSconfig where I can stop certain things loading on start up" I would say this would be fine.

BUT if you said "I got a question saying where do you stop apps loading on start up" can you tell me?
    this would be wrong.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Yup. Retake boolean 101.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

yeah my pass mark was a 'maybe'.. i never thought that was right :p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BosonMichael

Yup, exactly that. :) If you PM someone about those questions, that violates the NDA. If you PM someone AND ask them in a general sense (not even hinting that that's what you had problems with on the exam), then you're good to go. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. RedGnomos

RedGnomos Bit Poster

Truth be told, that I am a project manager looking to move into the networking space. I do have experience at deploying networks with me project managing it and have in depth experience with setting up data centres and the like. Anyhoo, have always enjoyed networking and security and want to make the transition. So am not sure how people will look at my experience and my desire to transit.

Also had a question as to if there are chatrooms I can join where I can discuss questions I have specifically relating to networking, security, Microsoft, etc. I'm rather impatient and need to know whilst I am studying rather than post.....wait....post if you know what I mean so that I can move on studying while I understand.

Any advice would be appreciated.

9. greenbrucelee

there are networking forums on here. From what yo say I would thing that you should look at the MCSA (if you have the A+ and N+ to count as your elective).

10. RedGnomos

RedGnomos Bit Poster

Why MCSA and not MCSE and/or CCNA?

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Forget the CCNA unless you've had over 12 months experience using Cisco kit. If you're that keen on getting a network certification, go for the N+.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. BosonMichael

Well, then, I'm confused... first, you say that you do not "have in depth experience with" either MCSE or CCNA-level stuff... but now you say you have "in depth experience with setting up data centers". Either you have server and router administration experience or you don't.

These recommendations will make it easy on you:
    - If you have 12 months of real-world server administration experience in a multi-site, multi-server environment, you are a good candidate for the MCSE.
    - If you have any real-world, hands-on experience at all working with Cisco routers, you are a good candidate for the CCNA.

If you don't, then those certifications won't line up well with your current experience level. It's really as simple as that. :)

I understand that you're itching to get going... but going in the wrong direction isn't going to help you. Plan your work, and THEN work your plan.

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I love the last sentence it's now in my sig :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

BosonMike, you've got a fan. . . . :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  15. BosonMichael

Not at all - I've got a friend. ;) A bunch of them, in fact! :biggrin

I'd be just as honored if he quoted me even without referencing my name... because who said it isn't important... the truth behind the statement is what is important. And if it changes someone's life because of it... all the better.

I'm not here to receive praise. I'm here to make a difference. :)

Thanks, Wiz. :)

16. RedGnomos

RedGnomos Bit Poster

That is true I don't have much hands on experience BUT I do know what needs to get done to deliver a project. 2 different things. I know that they might not line up with my experience however won't that give me a good foundation to start on than attempting to switch jobs with no certification.

17. greenbrucelee

There's no harm in learning something beyond your experience level but there is harm in being overqualified/overcertified for your experience level.

If an employer is hiring for a first line support job or IT tech job an you apply. The employer is going to think, this guy has no experience but has a high level certification he must have cheated I wont hire him or this person has a high level cert but no experience, as soon as I give him some he will leave for a higher level job.

Do you see why it isn't advisable now?

18. BosonMichael

Eh, not really. Without having administered a network before, you'll be lacking some skills that an employer's gonna need a server admin or network admin to have. And if you pursue a lower-level job, you'll be way overcertified for what the employer's gonna need a lower-level tech to have. In short, you make yourself unemployable - or, at best, less attractive to an employer.

I hate to be the bearer of unfortunate news, but there's really no shortcut around experience. If you don't have it, you can't create it from nothing. Experience is gained by working and doing... not by learning and testing. I wholeheartedly believe in certifications... but they have to be used correctly; they're not a magic key to enable you to get a job you don't have the experience for.