1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passed CCNA now on to CCNP?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by BraderzTheDog, Aug 22, 2012.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi CF

Passed my CCNA yesterday with a decent 842 points :-). Now i know at this point idealy i would give it a year of working in networking before going onto CCNP. However i kinda like what im doing at the mimute and its kinda networky (i do network securoty so firewalls / vpns / ids / juniper sa etc... )

This may not be entirely routing and switching, but the concepts are still the same. The real question is would it be a good idea to start working on CCNP ( ROUTE SWITCH TSHOOT) at this point and build a lab? If so what lab equipment would you suggest? I think my 2610 routers may be surplus to requirement

Cheers!

Brad :-)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Any new knowledge is only going to be a good thing, you may find that you aren't using things often enough in your daily work to warrant taking the exam just yet, but I would say wait a couple of years for the exam anyway, no reason you can't start learning it all now though! That's my opinion at least.

Congrats on the pass by the way!

You did it over the 2 exams right? The ICND1 and 2?

I've done a lot of learning and now work in a network role but still haven't got round to doing the exam, I really should book it! lol. Think I will try the single exam though rather than the 2 seperate exams.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations on becoming a CCNA!

If you're currently in a security role, I would tend to focus more on that. CCNA Security and then on to the CCNP Sec maybe?
    If that interests you, ofcourse :D

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Congrats mate on the pass!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. BraderzTheDog

Yes coupe i did the 2 exams icnd 1 and 2, since you already work in networks i would say the single exam may be ok for you. From what ive heard the exam is hard on time.

In terms of what simon said, i was thinking of doing ccna sec but i think i would find the subject dry as i do it all the time at work anyway. So far my employer are wanting me to do the JNCIA SSG and checkpoint CCSA so i suppose thats enough security for anyone :-)

Thanks all for the congrats btw!

Ps anyone have any ideas on lab equipment? :-)

6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, not sure I wanna risk being hard up for time. Tough call.

Do you have to answer as many questions etc overall in the single exam as you do in the split exams do you know? I know you get like 2 1/4 hrs in total or something for the split exams and is it 1 1/2hrs for the single?

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  7. BraderzTheDog

Im not massivley sure i know with cisco its random on each exam with the number of questions. Like with mine yesterday i had 42 questions but someone else might get 50 or 40 or anything in between. I think its based on the number of labs you get. I mean jeeze i spent 20 minutes doig a frame relay lab, so it depends on the questions i suppose?

Man its cisco what do you expect, notings straight forward ;-)

Coupe2T likes this.
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

What do you want your next role to be? Routing/Switching? Security? Bit of everything? Big/little organisation?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

Congrats on the pass! If you're ready for CCNP, go for it ;) It will be an accomplishment in it self!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. BraderzTheDog

Thanks for the congrats,

To answer daniels question, everything networking i dont think i want to stay in security forever, but i think the experience is giving me a bigger understanding of the corporate infrastructure on the whole. I believe routing and switching is where i want to be and im still yet to explore voip. May potentially study for the ICOMM exam and have a dabble in voice.

CCNP is something that i would like to learn and i deffo have the network buzz. :-) i think my conclusion is to study CCNP switch first does anyone have any lab equipment ideas?

Oh and btw daniel i would like to in my next roll work internally, atm i work for a contracting company so is never get chance to fully learn a custpmers network because we service maybe 100 networks here there and everywhere.

Its deffinately been a steep learning curve, to hell with it why not learn more? :-) CCNP it is.

11. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Yep sounds like CCNP is the way to go then :) Good luck!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. Telephasic

Telephasic New Member

I did CCNA three years ago and was somewhat guilty of resting on my laurels and nearly letting it expire. Did the CCNA Security exam today, was absolutely scared to death prior to the exam as I really didn't feel ready, and then found it almost easy, I guess an entire week of 8+ hours revision helps.

For my own part I'll be starting on Switch from the CCNP track next. Ultimately I really like the security side, so if/when I eventually finish CCNP I'll take a look at the security concentration for that level.

CCNA Security might be a good option for you as you'll probably be familiar with a lot of the material, and more certs has got to be better, right? ;)

13. BraderzTheDog

Yes mate I suppose CCNA sec would be a sensible way to go, whatever I do im staying in all things networking. I believe my next cert will possibly be Cisco related or maybe if Im feeling ambitious take the Juniper JNCIA Junos in R&S.

This may help widen my scope and employ ability. For the time being though I'm finding firewalls a very dry matter. Hours of going though policies on Checkpoint to find out theres some default implied rule causing traffic to be dropped! Most frustrating issues ever.

Keep up the work, theres alot of money in sec, thats if you don't kill yourself first ;)

14. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

It's a single 90 (or 120) min exam, it's certainly not as much as the other two together. It's also not too bad on time PROVIDED you can subnet fast and know your config. I don't think it's changed since I did it, certainly no new version since then anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't, I recommend doing ROUTE first. It's tougher, but rewarding and SWITCH kind of follows on nicely from it. If you're anything like me if I found SWITCH too hard I would probably not have done ROUTE. Doing ROUTE gets the biggest hurdle out of the way early :).

- - - Updated - - -

Congratz on the pass. I'd second a lot of what's been said. If you're not working CCNP topics then I'd suggest the CCNA:Sec, from what I've seen it's a lot more hands on than a truely dry subject (ITIL) but can't comment on other security courses. If you can upgrade your work to include some CCNP level techs then go for that instead.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
    Simonvm likes this.