1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passed A+ way back in 1997 should i retake the up to date exams

Discussion in 'A+' started by MichaelUK, Jul 29, 2008.

1. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Hiya everyone, first post sorry it's a bit long. :oops:

I took my A+ exam way back in 1997 and passed both parts, then i side stepped in to career in administration due to my lack of experience in the tech field.

Now i feel my career as stalled again and i am seriously thinking of going back towards IT field.

I have now built up a good working knowledge of PC and have stripped, rebuilt, and built well over 50 for friends and family, and never had a problem i could not get to the bottom off and all repairs / software issues i have dealt for these people have been successful.

Do you think i should retake my A+ Essentials 220-601 and IT Technician 220-602 or just do the Remote Support Technician 220-603 and Depot Technician 220-604 as i feel these two exams may help me get a foot in the door with the council i work for since they take on new help desk people alot more often then tech's.

Once i get this under my belt i will be working towards my networking+, server+ and then hopefully have enough experience to do either ccna or mcse abit down the road.

Any advice you guys could give would be great.

Certifications: A+ taken back in 1997
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

It might be a good idea to brush up on the newer objectives and new technologies but I'm not sure about taking any A+ exams again as your A+ certified for life once you have it.

Once you have brushed up maybe look at the N+ then the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Skimming through an updated book (recommend the All-in-One Sixth Edition from Meyers) wouldn't hurt, but as GBL rightly stated, your cert is good for life. Perhaps there are employers who care which version you've taken, but I have yet to hear about that happening in the wild.

I'd recommend that you start looking for an IT job now, and begin your Network+ studies anytime you're ready.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice.

I will read the sections that are new for A+ and will start on my N+.

which books could you recommend and also any labs or exam packs for Network+

5. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For Network+, I typically recommend the Sybex Network+ book by Groth. That said, I hear the Network+ All-in-One by Meyers is also excellent. Get one or both of those.

For practice exams, I don't really have anyone I'd recommend. Plus, I work for a practice exam company, so my opinion would be heavily biased. :) I'm quite sure I'd recommend what we create for the next version of the Network+ exam, due early 2009.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee

Get both books BM has mentioned. It's always a better idea to have two reading materials for study.

7. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply on books that i should use, will have a look at Amazon when I get paid next month :)

8. greenbrucelee

you should be able pick both up for no more than £35