1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passed 70-652 - TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by wagnerk, Aug 25, 2009.

1. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Passed 70-652 - TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring

Yep, passed with 935 - Sweet :)

Here's a run down of the exam, without breaking the NDA:

Number of questions (on my one anyway): 47
    Total time allowed: 2 hours
    Time allocated for exam: 180 minutes
    Skills measured: See here

About this Exam:

Candidates for this exam typically have more than one and a half years of experience working in Windows Server 2003 and/or Windows 2008 Server environments as system administrators. Additionally, the target audience is familiar with virtualization products and technologies.

Audience Profile:

Candidates for this exam typically have more than one and a half years of experience working in Windows Server 2003 and/or Windows 2008 Server environments as system administrators. Additionally, the target audience is familiar with virtualization products and technologies.

Preparation materials:

Books: Understanding Microsoft Virtualization Solutions (ebook from MSPress) & MSPress 70-652 Training Kit (however didn't use this).
    Test prep software: Measure-up
    e-learning: Virtualization E-Learning Collection (#6319) & Collection 6333: Exploring Microsoft Virtualization Technologies
    Experience: Real world Experience - 4 months, home lab/practicing - since it was released.

Other things that really helped: MCSA/MCSE & MCITP: EA

Amount of time studying: 12 hours over this weekend (since getting this voucher), however I've been on and off studying for this exam for 4 months, since we've implemented it in a live environment.

Personal thoughts:

The exam questions provided by Measure-up were definately harder than the real exam. Compared to other Windows 2008 exams, this one was by far the easiest imo. However you do have to know the ins & outs of the system, plus:

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Blimey ! :eek:

Didn't take you long to knock that one off Ken :biggrin

Congrats and well done ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. wagnerk

Thanks mate :biggrin Na once I got the voucher it didn't take to long, however if you consider how long in total I've been studying for it, then it's just taken above average time frame (approx 4 months). I was actually going to do this exam in the new year after the Management certs, however as I got the free voucher, just wanted to get it out of the way.

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Good job!

Got mine tomorrow at around noon.

I too have been fiddling with it on and off for several months now. Been reading the Hyper-V unleashed book from SAMS and of course the free elearning (thanks to the little offer posted on this forum last week).

I guess I'll see how it goes then. Maybe I'll hit the VMM exam later in the year if I have plenty of time (although "plenty" is a definitive uncertainty).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

If you have any material i can use/ borrow for the 652 i would be very grateful :P

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done mate!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. jk2447

jk2447 Petabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats Mr Wagner!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5, VCP6-NV
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Major congrats on that pass! :)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. wagnerk

Thanks guys :)

Well, I can't give you my experience or the book/CD that I used as we're still using that (we're, Modey & myself, are considering the SCVMM exam and the book covers that also). Neither the ebook, however if you do a search on here, I posted about e-book offers from MS (it's in one of those months) it may be still available.

You can take a look at the Virtualsation thread here, plus if you see here we already posted 2 free collections from Microsoft to help with these exams.

-ken

10. ericrollo

Well im not going to pass it anyway i have no experience of server 2008 etc if only it was a vista exam.

11. wagnerk

Just wondering why are you doing it then? Hyper-V is only on Windows 2008.

-Ken

12. ericrollo

Free exam and its interesting you can learn a lot when you are just thrown in the deep end would not do it if i had to pay for the exam and material i would just finish my MCDST and then upgrade to MCITP which im going to do.

That linux+ exam i may not of passed but i learned a lot about linux.

13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Passed as well, wasn't very difficult.

I had 47 questions but only 90 minutes to do them :blink (not two hours).

Surprisingly, my test didn't go into much detail on VMM contrary to what I've read from other peoples exam taking experiences. Maybe 5 or 6 questions only?

SAMS Hyper-V launched book went over about 85% of what the exam covered. Enough to pass, but as I also read up on blogs, watched the videos and more, I didn't really get stuck on anything.

Time to update the sig...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  14. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats to you both!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. wagnerk

Just ordered my first MS cert, costs $9.95 (so about £6.13) plus, I believe, £1 or £1.50 bank charge for international purchases. Also just downloaded all my certs from the old MCP/MCSE track to the new MCTS/MCITP track, they just ain't the same...

-ken

17. jk2447

Change of plans, might take this exam next as I'm not sure if voucher will expire :eek: I just went to watch more of the free video's in My Learning on the MS site and they have expired! :cry: I did watch 2 of them lucky enough but I'm thinking as its free maybe I should do it soonish. Can anyone advise me on this please? Thanks, Jim

**Edit: Just checked and the "Understanding Microsoft Virtualization Solutions" eBook is still free in MS Learning

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5, VCP6-NV
  18. jk2447

I passed too, 890 so over the moon with that high score. Easiest exam to date and for anyone thinking of doing this, you can pass it using Hyper-V in a lab. I haven't touched it in production.

Ken's was 180 minutes but I had 47 Questions in 90 minutes for some reason! Sadly no sims in this one.

I never know what to say without breaking the NDA when I pass exams so that is all :rolleyes:

Jim

19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done matey!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. jk2447

Thanks mate, aren't you sitting this one? It was free :biggrin you'd fly through it.