Passed 70-306

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Muir, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Hi all, I just thought I tell you all I passed my Microsoft 70-306 - Developing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic.Net today. The exam went really well and I was really confident answering the questions, it actually felt like I knew what I was on about, I mean I knew the answer I was looking for before seeing the choices.

I'm really chuffed as I got 975/1000, it shows that the revision I've been doing really paid off.

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats Muir! :biggrin

Oh, the feeling of success! Great in'it! :biggrin

3. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

It certainly is :biggrin and I've just remembered that I can now update my profile :biggrin

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well done, that's a tough one!

:slidedrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass :thumbleft

Nice score too 8)

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Thanks all :beers2

8. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Congrats Muir.. Just out of interest how many questions? I'm thinking of doing the 305 exam soon which is the web based apps.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  9. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

I had 38 and I think I has 38 on the 305 as well

10. BrambleRat

BrambleRat New Member

I'm soon to take my 70-306 as soon as I feel confident enough. still ploughing through manuals revising and relearning. I have heard, however, that the microsoft exams are all going adaptive, which from what I've read are absolutely brutal o.o; Is this all just scare tactics to make us revise more or are they really that bad?

WIP: MCAD, MCSD, CIW(Web Design Manager)
  11. Sacs

Sacs Bit Poster

Congrats on the pass Muir

Any chance of a summary of how much time, money and effort you put into studying? (just to give newbies like me a clue what to expect)

Certifications: BEng Degree
    WIP: MSc Degree, MCAD/MCSD
  12. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Certainly Sacs,
    It all started in October 2004 as I was currently in a situation where I couldn’t get an IT job and so I decided that I’d beef up my CV whilst keeping up to date with my studies. Unfortunately for myself I was unsure how to obtain professional certification without the use of a training provider (and at the time I had limited Internet connection) and so I signed on the dotted line to Computeach. They sent me my goodies and off I went, I started reading my first book (VB.NET Step by Step) and once complete I then did their 3 tutor assessed assignments in record time (about a week and a half). This stage was fairly easy for me as I’d come from a VB 6 background and so I just needed to learn the new features. I was then sent my next book - Developing Windows based Applications with VB.Net, which I found more of a challenge and after I finished it I then completed their next 3 tutor assignments, which were a bit more of a challenge but again not too difficult.

I was then sent my next book Developing Web based Applications with VB.Net and again I started ploughing through it but this time I spent a little bit longer as I’d always avoided web development but as it was fairly similar to windows with .Net I was a little more interested. Unfortunately this is where my studying started to slow down as I had not received any mock exams and I was suppose to of passed my 70-306 and about to start preparing for my 70-305. I then had to wait while they sorted me out and then I had to go through the ordeal of passing their 90% mock for the 70-305 exam. After many are sternly worded email to said provider I achieved the pass mark and gain my transcender CD and this is where my exam preparation started properly. I worked through the exams on the CD looked up the various articles went back to my book and studied certain areas again until I had a really good understanding of the subject and I was regularly achieving the pass grade on the transcender exams.

At about this point I had finished my 3 assignments for my Web stage and I was about to sit my 70-305 exam, or so I thought. Things hit rock bottom with my provider as apparently to qualify for the exam guarantee that I paid for I had to attend their in-centre workshops, which I didn’t feel would be beneficial to myself as I had already grasped the topics. This went on for far too long as I was not willing to give up what I had paid for especially considering there was no mention of this in the terms and conditions and after a ridiculous amount of time they relented and gave me my exam voucher. I passed first time in October 2005 after about 3-4 months of arguing which I found insanely frustrating. I then started studying for my 70-306 whilst also starting my 70-229 MCDBA course and I also relocated to Edinburgh and then of course there’s Christmas. Thankfully this time it went a lot smoother.

Sorry, I went down a reminiscent path then but to answer your question I spent probably a good 2-3 months preparing for the exams, brushing up on the areas I wasn’t sure of, doing the practice exams on the transcender CD and the CD that came with the books until I was really comfortable with the subject. I’d really recommend transcender and I always used a variety of different sources to gain some information (e.g. MSDN, VB sites, and different books)

13. Sacs

Sacs Bit Poster

Whoa !! Thats a mighty big summary :blink :biggrin

Seriously though, thanks for going through it all. Interestingly this seems to be another success story for the trancenders practice exams. Looks like I am really going to have to buy them once I am confident I have the enough time to devote to my MCSD studying (got the little matter of a research project to allow me finish my second degree :blink)

One question though, whilst studying for the exam, were able to apply the knowledge to some other work outside of the projects you did as assignments (e.g. for an employer) or was all your prep done from books, assignments and trancenders (with resources)?

14. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Not for an employer but I did set myself some little mini projects to test and to also push myself to learn a particular thing and it definately helps to apply the knowledge you've learnt. At one point I created an application to log all the jobs I was applying for and I made a point of using sql server and xml and integrating them together.

So again I think it's a must to do some hands on development but it might be difficult to encorporate a lot of subject matter.

P.S. Sorry again about the other reply on reflection I think I was using it like therapy, I just needed to get it off my chest. :oops:

15. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

I've just noticed you live in Scotland, I'm based in Edinburgh and I'm pretty sure I've still got my transcender CD's for 70-305 & 70-306, which I could send to you for a cut-price. Send me a personal message if you're interested.

16. Sacs

Sacs Bit Poster

I'm a C# man :wink:
    But thanks for the offer