Passed 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Flux, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Bit Poster

Hey!

I passed 70-271 on Thursday and have 70-272 booked for next Thursday. What's the natural progression from MCDST in terms of further certification? Would MCSE/MCSA be a good option?

Flux

WIP: MCDST
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi, firstly congrats and good luck!
    Secondly the natural progression from MCDST is . . . . . dependant upon your job, the tasks you perform and the systems you run. If you are 1st or 2nd line in one firm, MCDST could be all you will ever need. If like my last place 2nd line did AD admin too, an MCSA would be beneficial. So basically its probably going to be an MCSA but if you don't need to trouble shoot network/server 2003 issues, your MCDST is all you need until you land another role. Cheers, Jim

PS I'm not trying to put you off, but who's to say you won't become a developer in a years time? An MCSE would of cost you a fortune in study materials and exam costs so its usually best to certify to where you're at right now, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Congrats!
    Unless you have relevant experience then the MCSA/MCSE aren't particularly good options. However doing one of the client exams (70-270, 70-620 or 70-680), which count as part of the MCSA, wouldn't be too outrageous if you have little or no experience.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what's been said, when you've gain some experience you can always try out the Server+ before the MCSA.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Flux

Flux Bit Poster

Thanx for the advice!

I'm not currently working within the IT industry but I'm in the process of trying to change direction career-wise, which was my motivation for getting certified. I figured that I'd need to be able to show what my skill level is before I'd gain employment.

I'm currently looking for some experience in Desktop Support but I guess I'd like to progress as far as system administration in the future.

Do you think I stand a decent chance of employment with just the MCDST?

Flux

WIP: MCDST