Passed 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Balbekian, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Balbekian

Balbekian Bit Poster

Hi all,

New to the forum, but have been reading the threads on here for about a month now while I have been studying in preperation for the 70-271 exam.

Took the exam today and passed which I am really happy about.

Actually I should say I re-took the exam today as I sat the exam last week and did not pass. But today I passed which is extra satisfying. Obviously would have preferred to pass it the first time, but the important thing is that I passed it this time around.

Am now studying for the 70-272.

I am going through an IT Academy who will also place me into an IT role with one of their partners once I attain the MCDST qualification which is also extra motivation to get certified.

I have been using the MS e-Learning modules for the 271 and 272 which was organised through the Academy I am with. I will say this, although the learning material from Microsoft e-Learning is good, I found that it did not fully prepare me for the exams, which I think is partly why I failed the first time around, mainly because I did not know what to expect. The exam format was alot different compared to the study material I have been using, having blitzed the assessments in the MS e-Learning material, I was quite confident in sitting the 271 the first time around, if a little nervous. But the questions were quite long and I definitely struggled the first time I sat the exam. I had studied for about 3-4 weeks before booking the exam.

Having not passed the first time around, I was very dissapointed as expected, but I did now understand the format of the exams, knew what to expect and knew what areas I needed to really focus on.

The best way for me was doing practice exams using programs such as ucertify etc which really helped as the questions are set out almost exactly the way they are in the exam which I found really helpful.

I have never worked in an IT role, having previously worked in Sales/Account Management roles for the past 8 years, but I do know my way around a computer and IT is something I have a passion for. I just wish now that I had gotten into it sooner instead of working in roles that deep down I had no passion for. So now the plan is to get into a Level 1 Helpdesk role, continue studying and go from there.

Just thought I would share my thoughts on it all.

Thanks,

B

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Think again.

Seriously though mate, I'll assume you're with a training provider yes? and they said you will get a job at the end. You should try and get in the habit of self study.

WK

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats on the pass

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Congrats, and remember, always use a second source of material for the exam, it's only around ~£30ish, but may save you paying for a re-take. Not everything is covered in one book

5. Balbekian

Balbekian Bit Poster

Well as part of the agreement I signed with them they will try and place me into a role, if they do not have any success within 3 months then they will refund me what I paid them initially. At best, any position they do place me in will be a Level 1 Helpdesk role, which is fine by me.

I am not solely relying on them as I am naturally quite sceptical when people/organisations make guarantees, so I have been looking for roles aswell. But I am hoping the training provider does come through, if not, at the end of it all atleast I will be certified, which is a positive.

This is the first time I have studied ANYTHING since I left high school, so now that I am aware of the benefit of self study, and now have motivation and reason to, I am planning on continuing as my knowledge grows.

6. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass and keep up the positive attitude. It will help you attain your goals!:thumbleft

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  7. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Welcome and congrats on the pass.
    I think you are with the same TP I was with when I had started my certification(DI), I have experienced the same confusion and didnt know what to expect during the test too, while the e-learning guide didnt help at all and doesnt cover a huge part of this courses and goes through them very quickly, I had to get additional guides and test engines(like mentioned ucertify, transc..).
    Its a good thing that you joined CF, there is a lot of help here.
    good luck for the 70-272.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome and congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Balbekian

Balbekian Bit Poster

Thanks guys.

10. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

I wish you the best of luck.

And please, please post here when you either:

- Get that IT role job.
    or
    - Get that refund.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  13. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

Well done, and good luck for the 272.

Certifications: ITIL v.3, MCDST, CompTIA A+, Network+
    WIP: Scratching my head in frustration