Passed 70-271 this morning

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dalsoth, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Passed 70-271 this morning :biggrin:biggrin

Studied the MS Press book a bit and just went for it as i had passed the 70-270 last year. Got less than my 70-270 score this time as i scored 883 but am very happy. I found the 70-270, 70-271 and 70-290 share a great deal of information.

Well i will probably decide in the next couple of days if i can wing it and pass 70-272 this week. Bit rusty on things like Outlook Express and would struggle to remember what menus contain what in some office apps without a look. With luck it won't seem too hard and i will go for it. If i get that i am only 70-291 away from the MCSA :D

Thanks for the help guys and the encouragement to take this so quickly:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Grats matey. I'm taking mine first week in March so we'll see what happens with that.

Beer tonight then me thinks? :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats! We knew you would do it!:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done on the pass that man!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Well done. :D

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys.

Qs, you seem like you know your stuff on here so i am sure you will have no problems. I just used the MCDST book really over the weekend. A lot of it was fresh in my head from the server exam with regards to the shares and encryption etc..

I did have a quick read through the Cramsessions sheet that is free on their site that Ken posted a while ago. Helped me to refresh each area before i set off to the centre without going into anything too heavy. Screen did freeze halfway through the exam but i was assured it would catch up after a few minutes, it did :cheeseyg! Also had some fire alarms being tested but it did not bother me:)

Good luck with yours.

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Congrats!

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

well done:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

congrats, well done.:D

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  13. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Congrats!
    By the look of things, you didn't have to prepare much for the exam. Would you say it's pretty easy?
    Then again, anything is easy if you study hard enough...
    Any catch questions?
    You know, questions related to procedures or options that make you go "...oh boy I haven't done this in a while" type of thing.

Again, congrats!

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  14. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

NDA kind of stops me saying too much really. Was not too bad, some questions were a breeze as i had just completed 70-290 on Friday and shares and permissions and stuff is relevant to XP in much the same way. Should be giving the 70-272 a go very soon. Less prepared but i got a second shot. In this exam though i think there were 1 or 2 questions i was a bit stuck on because of how they were worded and had to take my best educated guess.

Sometimes you have a question that asks you to do something. You would normally do something else as well as a matter of course but are keenly aware that the question has not explicitly asked you to do the extra. You think to yourself... "well you know, it hasn't asked me to do the extra so i won't." But then you remember from some of the MeasureUp stuff from the book it just assumes you will. You are then caught in two minds. Do i do what i would normally do or do i do exactly to the letter what Microsoft asked me to do.

If i knew the answer to that dilemma i would probably score higher:biggrin

You guess and then next time the situation arises have to guess again because MS never tell you which ones you got right or wrong:p

I spent a couple of days going over the MS book. Perhaps 7-8 hours worth study. I simply had to skip actually doing many of the things in the book due to time. I also skipped passed things i had only recently refreshed on during the server study.

I think if someone is pretty up on XP and has a week off work they could pass at least one of the exams easy. My brother bought the Testout material last year for XP and passed the 70-270 within a week of study. He has never worked in IT but is pretty good on computers. What you put in you get out. I am not the sort of person who can study an hour a day for months and remember specific tiny nuggets of info at the drop of a hat. I like learn a lot at a time. If i am studying i will try to spend 3-4 hours in one session. I know others have kids and stuff that simply won't allow for this though.

Everyone learns in their own way.

Hope that was useful.

15. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Yes it does, thank you.
    And again congrats.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

:) Cheers matey, I have the same plan of action. I'll obviously let you all know once it's over and done with :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA