Passed 602! (with mini-review)

Discussion in 'A+' started by Gav, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

So, I'm now a CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician. WOOH!

However, I am really surprised that I am. This exam seemed a lot more difficult than I was expecting and covered a few things not mentioned in the A+ Certification Passport book. It asked some questions about DOS commands that are seldom used this side of the millennium. A lot of the questions, for example ones on the troubleshooting procedure, weren't at all obvious. In fact on at least two of the questions I guessed as they all seemed like reasonable methods of doing things, without one being a clear best choice.

Literally, halfway through the exam, I had already started forming a post in my head for here, right down to the simile I was going to use, to tell you all I'd failed!!!

However, I passed, with an 819, so I didn't do that badly :D

Thanks for all the help and advice you've given me so far Cert Forums. It's Network+ then MCDST/70-620 next :biggrin

- Gav

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations!

What a feeling eh?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done:)

Did you only use the passport book? The reason I ask is that the passport book is only for revision so doesn't cover everything like the AIO does.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Congrats.
    It truly is an evil exam, I thought I'd failed too.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done!

Best of luck with the Net+, its a big step up from the A+ imo, but im sure you'll be just fine! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Yes, but I did have quite a good knowledge of most of the stuff covered in A+, so I found the Passport book ideal as it just filled in some blanks and introduced me to the 'CompTIA way of thinking'. :biggrin

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

cool. I found it far easier than the essentials must be because the questions were more to my likeing as I prefer hadware etc than stupid ambiguious ones :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

That's what I prefer too, but I think it's just the luck of the draw as I had a lot more 'stupid' questions than I was expecting. :p

10. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Congratulations on the pass! :clap

Certifications: A+, ITIL v3 Fdn, Network+
    WIP: 70-680, 70-685
  11. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Gongrats Gav!:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Knowledge of the command line is still of paramount importance to anyone that considers themselves to be an IT professional.

Congrats on the pass mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I used to use a little 386 Laptop running DOS and Win 3.11 for at least a year as my primary portable machine. Was absolutely ideal for word processing!!

Also, I didn't say I got the question wrong, I just said it surprised me :smile-l

14. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah the heady days of autoexec.bat and config.sys :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Oh yes. I was really quite chuffed when I worked out how to add 'win.com' so that the system automatically started Windows. :)

17. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

congrats mate -

18. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

WooHoo! Well done..

Certifications: A+
  19. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

May I just add to this, with my 2p worth - I feel both this and the essentials exam have so many "stupid ambiguous" questions, as bruce lee mentioned earlier..

I don't really feel that these questions benefit or test your knowledge in any way, in fact, I think they just confuse the issue! From both exams I remember looking at some questions thinking WHAT?? as out of the 4 possible answers, there was the one token stupid answer, and 3 perfectly good answers.

It's nice to see that other people think the same too, yesterday when I was doing mine I counted at least 40 of the 90 questions where I thought the questions / answers were a bit iffy. I passed with 861 so must have got most of them right, just annoying that I will never know which of the ridiculous questions I got wrong!!

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I used to scare the crap out of my father playing with those 2 files, those were the days....

anyway, congrats on the pass!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10