Passed 601 - any advice on the 602?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Matt_26uk, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Hi all, been studying for my A+ and passed the 601 last week with 740 :D (Is that generally a good score?). I've been using "Comptia A+ complete study Guide" and after weeks of studying hardly anything I studied came up in the exam, I answered the questions on experience really.

Makes me think what the 602 will be like, does anyone know what areas it focuses on or is it random like the previous exam and out of the two exams did you find the first or second harder? I've got a few weeks to study till my next exam just wanted to know any help much appreciated.

Matt

Certifications: MCSA 2003, CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Thanks Wizard

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :D

How was it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass. Don't worry too much about the score. A pass is a pass. When you say you used the "Comptia A+ complete study Guide" was that the one published by Sybex?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

First off - Well done Matt!

I am currently looking into doing the very same exams as yourself.

A+ Essentials : 220-601

and

A+ IT Technician : 220-602

I was looking to maybe start a new post about this but as there are already several with many different post dates and a variety of different information I thought I'd post here.

I'm basically wondering about what books are most recommended to study for these exams and the time span in which they will remain valid/up-to-date.

I'm not overly sure how long it would take me to get through the books and I wouldn't want to end up buying the books now and find in, say january, I can't sit, or more to the point pass, the exams due to an update.

Any help would be much appreciated and I do apologise for yet another A+ study question!

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  8. greenbrucelee

Hi

The exams have just changed. I am currently studying the A+ going for the same exams as you.

You definetly need the compTIA A+ certification all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers (only the 6th edit will do)

And another good book to get is PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles who is a member of this forum (Tripwire45)

you could just get away with that, but an old pc is recommended to practice on.

9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm going to buy those books shortly

Is there a recommended spec + OS for the practice pc's? Where did you buy yours?

Many thanks!

Dave

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah, if we each got a quarter for every time we answered the "Which books should I use for the A+ exam" question... :biggrin

GBL's advice is solid... Meyers' and Pyles' books are the best.

Any computer would be great... preferably one you can take apart and put back together without the risk of losing data.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Re,

Yea I bet BM, that's why I was reluctant to start a new thread as I could see that it's becoming a tired subject really.

Well, I'm sure I can find a cheap pc..

Thanks for the help guys :D

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. greenbrucelee

Go to a recycling centre or junk/pawn shop anything thats running windows 95 upwards would do, I got one for £30 quid with window 2000 on it and 40GB hard drive, I took it pieces last week left it all covered up then went back to it an re-buil it from scratch, I also just networked it to my home pc for about 30 minutes but it was really slow and some files couldnt be read as the hard drive is slightly faulty.

It sounds like the read/write heads are scraping the disk platters but as I just found (refer to my thread in off topic)a pc I may use that hard drive in it when I am confident its dry

14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ah, I think I read that post last night.

Is rebuilding the only reason to obtain a spare PC? I've already took pc's completely apart and rebuilt them (my old pc and uncles pc's for repair reasons) as well as building and upgrading my own from scratch.

I guess once I get the book(s) I'll know for sure anyway, just being a curious cat at the moment :P

15. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Thanks for all your congratulations. :)

Greenbrucelee/DaveMid the exam wasn’t to bad, wouldn’t say it focused on a pacific area it asked a questions from 'parts in a Hard drive' to 'error messages on 2000 boot up screen' to give you and example. If you study hard or have been in the IT industry for a while you should be ok.

Tripwire45 it was the sybex book. I've been hearing a lot about the Mike Meyers 6th edition book, sounds good. Is there a Mike Meyers book for the N+. I'm going to stick with the book I have for the second part of the A+ but might go on to a different style for the N+

16. greenbrucelee

I dont think there is a Meyers book for the N+

but I am sure someone on here can help you with that

17. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Well Done Mat.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  18. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Thanks stu

19. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I found a shop that has a 500mhz PC, they wanted around £35 for it and said 'at a push' should run windows 2000. I was wondering though, if I'm going to buy a PC for building practice (even though I can already do it) would it not be worth while getting a PC that can run 2003 server?

20. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Cough> - Yes there is - I have it here....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+