Passed 291

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Ally, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Hey passed 291 yesterday with 700 again!again, like the 290 exam i thought i had done so much better so was a little disappointed tho not that much :)

Exam was as expected:
    Heavily DNS based
    DHCP
    Security i.e. templates etc
    RRAS
    Only thing i was surprised at was the almost complete absence of IPSec. Had a mention once i think in a question and that was it.
    3 sims - DHCP, DNS and security templates
    Thanks to everyone for their help in this forum, appreciated
    :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Way to go Ally! :biggrin

It just goes to show that all of your hard work in your labs and your question here have paid off! :biggrin

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Ally. Well done. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass ally :thumbleft

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Congrats from me as well.

Your DHCP sim didn't happen to relate to setting up a new branch office in Rome or similar did it? If so they seem to try and catch you out by giving a class A network Id (10. whatever it was) combined with a class C (24bit) subnet mask.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And congrats from me.

What is Microsoft's take on CIDR these days? It *used* to be that they ignored it, still insisting on the old classfull rules, as does A+ to some extent.

The comment above suggests that they are at long last admitting that the Internet uses CIDR almost exclusively these days. :blink

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Congratulations on passing the exam, Ally! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  9. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Phil, from what i remember the DHCP question seems the same as you describe. It was a class A address with a class C subnet, i am now wondering if i have done this incorrectly in the exam. What are the rules for tackling this kind of scenario? I jus set up my scope as 10.10.10.0 (was something like this) and then set up the exclusions i.e. 10.10.10.15 etc for the statically assigned servers etc

:D

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Way to go on the pass! :alc Congrats!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. SYN

SYN Bit Poster

Congrats !!!

Certifications: VCP,MCTS, MCSE, Security+, CIW-D
    WIP: MCITP
  12. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Well, when you set up a DHCP scope and you specify a class A address, the subnet mask for the scope is set automatically to 255.0.0.0. Therefore, in the exam, while you are running through the wizard you simply have to modify the mask so it is set to the 24 bit mask as described in the question.

It caught me out first time round which is why I asked. For some reason I also set the IP address of the router to that of the DNS/WINS server. Why I did that, heaven only knows!

In general, there is nothing to stop you mixing IP address classes when specifying network Ids and masks. It purely depends on how many subnets and hosts you need. As if IP addressing wasn't confusing enough already! Anyway great news that you passed... which ones next?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  13. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Thats what i thought, i definately remembered to set the mask to 24 bits. i must admit i thot the sims in this exam were slightly harder than 290 exam but not too bad. Well thats me got 270, 290 and 291 out of the way so started on active directory today. I plan to hopefully sit this 1 early January but wel see how much alcohol i consume over the xmas holidays lol :D