Passed 291 - now MCSA

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by steve_f, Nov 29, 2008.

1. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I took 291 today and passed. Woohoo!! I got 889.

Had 2 major panics in the exam - and a minor one.
    At one point it took nearly 4 minutes to load the next question, I was sure it would crash.
    After 35 questions, I clicked "next" and up popped a screen saying "Prometric test driver - terminating" and it went back to the initial screen where I type my testing ID to begin. AAGH!!! They managed to log me back into the exam though. I was sure I would have to start again.
    The minor one was that a drag and drop wasn't working, it would say "FALSE" in blue when I tried to drag one option and place it into an area. I marked it for review, and when I went back later it worked.

I had a lot of security questions, lots of WSUS, lots of DNS, some DHCP, and the odd TCP/IP misconfiguration.

To prepare I read the book quickly, then watched CBT nuggets and went through the book slowly, doing the labs in VMware. I had 4 virtual machines, a DC with DNS and DHCP, an RRAS server, a WSUS server and an XP client. I was already familiar with WSUS and a lot of the security stuff (templates etc) from previous exams, and from using these this in work.

I had a week off work last week, and I did 6 hours study a day, labbing, watching CBT nuggets twice more (picked up new things each time) and doing measureup exams.

The exam was hard but theren't as many of those legendary looooong questions as expected. There were a few alright, often with 1 or 2 exhibits.

Now that i'm MCSA, I'm going to take a break from certifying. If I continue to MCSE, security+ will be next, I need a break from MS exams after doing 5 in 18 months.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass Steve, and thanks for sharing your study method:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done you MCSA you!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey, congrats and well done ! :biggrin

Don't blame you for taking a break

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass

9. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

a bit late but Well done
    Was just reading newish post on 291 anyone