Passed 291+ 290 both in the same day!!!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Fluid, Sep 19, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Fluid,

A quick question, would you say you were addicted to doing certs? To me it seems that way.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, at least you have a year and a half of experience... 'tis better than none, I promise you. :)

I guess it depends on what you were doing in those jobs. Doesn't sound like you did much AD work at "The Computer Doctor". You will have to self-analyze what you've done and where you are in your career in order to decide whether the MCSE is too far past your experience level. Just guessing, but the MCSA is likely to be IN your experience level. Might be why you did well with 290/291.

Unsure why you're getting turned down for jobs... could be any number of factors. Might be your CV, might be your appearance, might be your attitude - none of which I have reason to believe of you personally, but just thinking of what has disqualified people in the past when I was reviewing CVs and interviewing.

And... it may just be that someone more experienced or qualified was a better match. Might have nothing to do directly with you.

Always remember that EVERYONE reads the newspaper and online job postings, so competition for those jobs is fierce. All it takes is ONE person who is better suited to a position to derail you from a job that would have otherwise been yours. Sometimes it's about who you know... meet other IT professionals in your area, which will help you find those "hidden" IT jobs that aren't listed publicly (yet).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonMichael

Was just looking at your WIP... why didn't you start with the A+? That would certainly help with entry- and lower-level IT jobs...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Ermmm lol im not sure mate, i think so i just want a big collection of them lol, also it shows that iv got some sort of qualifications so in 5 years time when i look back i can gladly say i was not a f*uk up :)

5. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

To be honest mate when i looked at the A+ syllabus it made me laugh so much, it just seemed like a waste of time to me. Can i send you my CV so you can have a quick browse over it if youv got some spare time or anything?

I might actually sit the A+, N+, S+ exams next year if i think its worth while. What id love to do next year would be the CEH exam & maybe a CCSP

6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

If the A+ is so easy, just take the exams. Thats the entire point of the exams, to prove you know the stuff. It would also look better having entry level certs and then the bigger ones in my opinion!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael

Dude... certifications don't make you "not a f-up". I've seen some very-certified folks who can take tests well, but can't DO THE JOB worth a dang. Don't be THAT person. The problem is... you're starting to exhibit those danger signs where you're close to being overcertified for your experience level.

nX is right... if they're easy, go take them. The certifications aren't for you to prove to YOURSELF that you can do it... the certifications are to prove to someone who DOESN'T KNOW YOU that you can do it.

You might think it looks easy... but I was in IT for *6* years and I *still* learned things when I was writing practice exam content for the A+.

So... my advice is to study for them and pass them. If you know it already, the studying will go quick. If you find something you didn't know already... then the time taken to strengthen your foundational knowledge will be WELL worth it. A weak foundation will cause you to not fully understand things that are at a more advanced level. It'd be like trying to understand Calculus before you had a FULL (not just passing) understanding of Trig and/or Algebra.

Those who truly know understand that there's so much more to know.