Passed 220-702 - No Thanks to Boson

Discussion in 'A+' started by acpiper, Oct 16, 2012.

1. acpiper

acpiper New Member

About a month ago I was on this forum, ranting about how Boson betrayed me because the 220-701 study material that I paid for was nowhere near the exam material that I had to take at the exam center. Then I discovered that my SOPHOS software was blocking the Boson updater, and once that was fixed the updates arrived, and they looked more in line with many of the actual exam questions.

HOWEVER, I just got back from taking the 220-702 exam - and I passed - with a 745 - and don't recall seeing one question even remotely similar to my practice exams, and I can't blame it on Sophos this time.

So, a warning... It is possible to MASTER the Boson exSim-Max for the CompTia A+ and FAIL the exam. I don't care how many practice tests you take, just on the weight of averages, SOME of the material should have been covered in both.

It's well that I don't have to retake this now for a couple of years - not even that if I continue to pursue my IT certifications.

Boson - are you going to do the same to me when I start working on Network+ ?

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :D

In regards to Boson exams, I don't think the idea is to have similar questions to what the exam would have, the idea behind the practice tests, is to test your knowledge on the topic itself so in this regard, the questions don't have to be similar. In fact, software such as MeasureUP, Transcender, Preplogic, etc don't have similar questions compared to the exam. So I don't think that Boson did anything wrong there.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Yea agreed i dont think you will find exactly the same questions on the software as you will in the exam, I used Boson for the A+ and know how you feel but end of the day its not meant to have exactly the same questions in. Like Theprof said its just meant to test you on that subject.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. acpiper

acpiper New Member

My personal experience in the field (since 1984) is what allowed me to pass - reviewing the material and taking the trial exams provided me with confidence. That confidence was shattered when I realized that the material that I studied was not the material that I SHOULD HAVE STUDIED - that, in my estimation, I wasted 100 man-hours, and gobs of money. So, now, for my next exam, since I haven't had any "classroom" training for Network+ I'm kind of at a loss of where to turn. I guess I'll rely on CompTia's source material - probably what I should have done in the first place.

Boson - don't get me wrong - I appreciate what you tried to do, and maybe I'll find that without your trial exams that I never would have taken the actual exams, but that experience was as exasperating at watching my SF Giants in the play-offs.

5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Was all the exam questions in your book, not sure which book you used?

These exams will have about 300 different questions made up and you get to see only 40 of them, or whatever the number is for comptia. You can't expect them to give you word for word the exact questions you are going to get in the exam. In my comptia one I remember they added some extra questions that weren't in the book but they never counted towards my score.

It is good you passed though and all you can do is try something else for your study next. I find for MS exams the press book and cbt nuggets does me fine, and I guess for comptia it would be sybex and cbt nuggets.

Just depends

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Um, you passed the exam mate. All good no? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

You have to be careful with all things Boson, they are known to be troublesome.

Certifications: A few.
  8. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I paid for a measureup mock test for the 220-701 but I didnt for 220-702, this being because the questions asked on the mock and the real thing were miles apart... that said, I do agree that if the mock test was the same as the real thing then everyone would take mock after mock until getting 100% and then would also get 100% on every real test.

I passed both 701 & 702 with 90% so was happy with my result, when my best mock results were coming back on both at around 80%

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  9. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I'd still say you shouldn't study from a test engine.
    You need to study from a study resource, and then use a separate test engine to try to spot any gaps you've got left over.

If I'd just used MeasureUp I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a certification to my name. But using MeasureUp after having studied something from Sybex, GTS or Total Seminars, I've done pretty well.

I wouldn't try to learn Chinese from a Chinese dictionary - or a Chinese proficiency exam.
    It's about choosing the right tool for the task at hand.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  10. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Never thought of that, definetly makes sense though

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  11. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Do as the Chinese do.... but what do they do? As all I think about when I hear 'chinese' is food, not good

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  12. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Mmm... Chinese food.
    Dammit, Shadow, now I'm gonna have to go get me some gyoza! (One of the best foods known to man - as long as theyre cooked right.)

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?