1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

passed 220-701 essentials

Discussion in 'A+' started by cdrjameson, Oct 17, 2011.

1. cdrjameson

cdrjameson Bit Poster

Just passed the essentials exam (825/900) and have the practical application exam booked for Mon next week.

Here are a few of my thoughts that might be helpful for people that are soon to take or thinking of taking this exam:

I found a few of the questions a little ambiguous and would have liked the ability to review wrong answers after the test finishes. I had in excess of 35 minutes left after I had gone through all the questions and answering them but I used all of the time just double checking and triple checking my answers. I probably changed my answer to 3 or 4 of the more ambiguous questions. I did have one question that was effectively exactly the same question regarding the Comptia Troubleshooting process.

I thought the software (Pearson Vue) for the test was extremely easy to use and flagging questions that I wasn't 100% sure on was a very useful tool in the review stage. In fact I think I was able to answer one question using the facts in another question which was very nice of PV.

To study I used Mike Meyers AIO and Exam Cram and Prof Messer's website. All in all I felt well prepared by my choice of study material, though about halfway through the exam I had a run of 50/50 questions which dropped my confidence a bit. And also the second question in the exam I am sure wasn't covered in either resource and didn't know - great start!

I don't work in IT directly but I do manage and lead teams of PC and network technicians among others so I am often immersed in the 'geek speak'. I have built and regularly fiddle in PC innards, and I am my families and friends goto guy for IT issues. I started studying one month ago and averaged maybe 1 to 2 hours a day over the whole month, it's probably a bit less than this but hopefully you can understand where I was starting from and how much time it took me.

I booked through GetCertified4Less Test Vouchers and they had prepared a specific exam study guide of approximately 70 pages in pdf for each exam. I found this very helpful in honing my revision to the specific exam - Comptia's exam objectives requires too much though to come up with a revision plan. DId I say I was pretty lazy....

Anyway fingers crossed for next Monday's exam...

2. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

well done and i am sure you'll pass that test if you did s well as you did on the essentials test.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats and good luck for next Monday:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

congrats mate - I also passed my essentials this morning

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  5. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

double congrats is in order - well done to u both!

Certifications: BSc Computing, A+, N+, MCITP Enterprise
    WIP: none ATM but boy have I earned it!!!
  6. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats! Good luck on the practical, sounds like you're going to blast through it.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  7. cdrjameson

cdrjameson Bit Poster

That's it; CompTIA A+ done (802-900) I found the questions to be a little vague sometimes, much as the first exam. Next up Network then Security then CCNA ho hum; given myself 10 months to bag the lot. And after that who knows..

8. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Congrats on a job well done. I've got my 702 on Wednesday...

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  9. BITEK

BITEK Bit Poster

Thumbs up for you !

Certifications: BTEC Diploma in IT, Comptia A+, 70-687
    WIP: N+
  10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on obtaining the A+ certification!