Pass scores

Discussion in 'A+' started by pete1, Oct 3, 2008.

1. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

can anyone tell me what scores you need to pass A+. on comptia web site it says min 675 for 601 and 700 for 602. i know there is a total of 100 questions for 601 and 90 for 602. what i'm asking is what do you have to get out of 100 in 601 and 90 in 601.

thanks for any help

pete :D

Certifications: ECDL
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You need 70% - 75%ish

675 is the minumum pass score score for the essentials and 700 for the IT Tech exam, no one knows how the questions are marked. You may get 1 point for answering a two part question but 10 points for a one part question.

compTIA and Microsoft keep this a secret to try and stop or hinder people cheating.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest I can't answer that, maybe someone else can?

By the way that you're asking the question, you're assuming that all the questions are weighted equally. There are websites that say that all the questions are equally weighted, but then again there are websites that say that they aren't (just search google).

Concentrate on the study material and not how many you need to pass.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

i can roughly give you the answer as the score needed is exactly what i got,as has been mentioned it's weighted so you could go one or two questions either way.

I got 675 in exam 1 ,which was precisely 16 questions wrong,and 84 correct answers.

I'd agree with the 75% pass mark mentioned by gbl ,75% seems to be right.

I wil score higher in my 2nd exam,now that i know how the exam is arranged.I feel i messed up in the first one.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Those pass scores (675 & 700) are correct.

But be warned, the CompTIA scoring systems are mysterious. I remember reading on various forums about questions being weighted. To me, this seems reasonable, as some questions will be harder than others, but this may or may not be true. I never found any official word from CompTIA. Understandably, they seem to keep their marking policies pretty hush-hush. There's a lot of hearsay floating around, and very little fact.

If you're as paranoid as me, and you want to pass, it's enough to know that exam questions might be weighted. So perhaps guy A on forum B got 20 questions wrong and passed, but perhaps if I get 20 wrong I fail.
    All we know for sure is you can get some questions wrong, you don't have to be perfect, but too many wrong and you'll fail. So...
    is about the best advice you can get.

Be paranoid. Aiming for 675 or 700 marks could be hit or miss - you can't go wrong aiming for 900!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. greenbrucelee

I have heard of some people taking MS exams and failing with a very high score & people passing with a really low score. I don't think it's the same with compTIA but one person might get 10 points for a questions whilst another candidate gets the same question but only gets 5 points.

Note that no two exams are the same you may get completley different questions to the other candidates taking the test at the same time.

7. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

thanks for all the replys, didnt realize how hush hush this subject was with comptia. like Wagnerk said i'll concentrate on study material and not how many i need to pass.

thanks again

pete1 :D

Certifications: ECDL
  8. greenbrucelee

if they were to reveal how it is marked then it would easier for people to cheat as someone could concentrate on the questions that scored more highly to get the required pass.

As Ken said aim to learn as much of the material as possible.

remember you are aiming to become a good tech not someone who can pass an exam.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not only might the questions be weighted... but there may also be unscored "beta" questions given on your exam. So, in truth, you should just study until you understand all the topics, and don't try to shoot for a particular score. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Im sure someone mentioned that there may also be questions which are not scored, im not sure why this would be but it could be a way of 'live' testing the questions.

I wouldnt imagine that the same question could score different on someone elses exam because that would just be weird but I would imagine the questions are weighted.

Mike Meyers also rights in his AIO guide that in the past CompTIA have used adaptive exams although they don't at present, that switches the questions about based on difficulty and the end result is dependant on how many difficult questions you get right.

To be fair I think The Zigs point would make all of this irrelevant, aim for 900, if you plan to answer all of them correct then it is irrelevant how they are weighted or calculated, obviously if you get some wrong it will affect your score but don't plan to get any wrong

WIP: A+