Partitions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abs, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Abs

Abs Bit Poster

Hi guys!

Im getting confused when it comes to partitions. Regarding primary partition, extended partition and logical drive. My understanding is that, primary partition is the partition that has the operating system which is C, and as long as you have one operating system, you will have one primary partition.

But here is where I get stuck, whats the difference between extended partition and logical drive? When I go to my disk management, My D partition says extended partition(having green colour around it, and logical drive(having blue colour in it. So is extended partition and logical drive the same thing?

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi dude, not being funny but you'd get loads of info about this question if you do a google search and you'd learn by researching too. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A primary partition is where a partition has just one section to it.

An extended partition is a 'container' that can hold multiple sections.

Traditionally PCs will only boot from a primary partition as there was no mechanism to say which section of an extended partition to use.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can have an extended partition with multiple logical drives on it.

So lets say you OS partition is C and you have an extended partition as D, you can have logical drives on D as E,F,G and so on and so on.

I have two partitions on my drive the C: partition with the OS on and D: partition where I have my virtual memory running from which gives slight performance increase.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not quite. :biggrin The extended partition on its own has no drive letter. It is the logical drives inside it that have drive letters. So using your example they would be D, E and F.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

oops yep forgot that :oops: , yep its my c: drive split into two the locals go from d - f.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Abs

Abs Bit Poster

Hi guys

Thanx for all of your answer....I think I have the picture now:biggrin