Partition magic and SBS2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by Toasty, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

First time to post a question.

We have a Dell server at work with SBS2003 pre-installed. The problem is the C drive is only 12Gb and running out of space fast. I know a few years back there had been problems if you tried to increase the size of the partition using partition magic.

Talked to Dell and they said it would be fine. But on Symantec website it only list XP or 2000.

Does anyone know of any software that we can use to move partitions on SBS2003.

Any help or advice would be very kindly received.

Thanks

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Toasty,
    Don't know if it will help or not, but I had a Dell Fileserver that had a 10GB C partition and I used Acronis Disk Director to resize it to 20GB without any problems. Take a look at http://www.acronis.com. There may be a trial version to try.

HTH
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Partition Magic seems to have been abandoned these days.

Acronis seems to be the favourite now. But check the docs for any limitations.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

It worked ok for me

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Make sure you do full ASR backup before you try anything. :)

Another option would be to add an extra drive / setup a new volume on another disk, then mount it as a folder on drive C. Might give you extra options in this case.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just to add to this the Exchange DBs and Active Directory DB are on the C: drive by default when pre-installed by Dell. You can move these to D: and free up some space. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

We have moved everything from C drive we could Sparky, but still running out of space.

I fail to understand why Dell makes the C drive so small. We have 3 partitions C 12Gb, D 80Gb & E 80Gb, you would think Dell would have made C drive about 40Gb and cut the other 2 back. Talking to a friend and they have a 600Gb server from Dell pre-installed, it only has a 25Gb C drive.

I will look into Acronis.

Thank you for all your help.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA