Part of an OU degree plus programming certifications, good for job?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Sep 7, 2008.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

If I pass individual Open University computing courses (modules) in programming, as part of an OU

degree, but I've also passed programming certifications, could the OU courses be of any advantage

when applying for a job?

Or would they just be seen as part of an uncompleted degree?

But having said all that, wouldn't experience 'trump' both the OU and the programming certs?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

EVERYTHING is an advantage when applying for a job.

Qualifications, certifications, experience.

That's what advantage means, something that sets you ahead of the competition.
    So we could add personality, interview technique, appearance, personal hygeine...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on whether you're continuing to puruse the degree. If you're continuing your degree, it's not a bad thing to put on your CV. But if you complete only part of the degree and then stop, an employer is likely to see your courses simply as a degree you gave up on. And from an employer's perspective, if you quit a degree, what else might you not see through to completion?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

The courses are part of a degree which I do intend to finish.

5. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hi Michael

I have utmost respect for you after reading your posts around the forums but perhaps you're not too familiar with the British institution of the Open University. What Jo and I have done is that we have signed up for individual courses which are offered to the public as separate from any degree. On the other hand, if we take enough of these courses then we are given qualifications.

As the OU say it on their website, "When you pass a course you are awarded credit points which you can count towards qualifications". My course, Designing applications with Visual Basic, counts for 30 points. A full bachelor degree requires 360 points, so I will be a twelfth of the way towards getting that degree when I complete the course.

However, unlike Jo, I have no intention of getting the degree, mainly because I have a bachelor degree already. I chose the course because it is a wonderfully cost-effective way of learning more about this programming language. As I am unemployed, I may be able to get on to the course for no cost at all.

I entirely agree with the first reply. I see this course as an additional qualification to freshen up my CV.

Regards
    Rick

WIP: 70-271
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The most important thing with programming is to be able to program well and demonstrate that in an interview and during your probationary period.

In my opinion the certifications are more recognised than course modules, MCAD would be more recognised in general for Visual Basic and SCJP for Java.

Since you should be able to program before you take the certs theres no reason you can't do both the course and the cert.

Generally you should finish what you start, so make it clear you were not embarking on a full degree program or that you are still in the process of obtaining your degree.

7. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Isn't the MCAD soon to retire?

8. BosonMichael

I agree with DMarsh... make it clear that you have no intention of finishing the degree.

That said, as an employer, I'd have to question the "why's" of that as well: "Why not go for it?" Doesn't matter the reasoning, really... you're dealing with an employer's perceptions, not logical arguments. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes MCAD exams (not the certification itself which lasts for life) will retire in April 2009, MCPD will be the effective replacement but the MCPD is slightly more advanced.

10. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Bingo - that is precisely what I want to do. I would like to get a Microsoft programming certificate, aided by the knowledge that the OU course will give me.

Regards
    Rick

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I personally wouldn't list courses (part of a degree or not) on a CV as to be honest, courses are ten a penny. If as others have mentioned it was part of a degree that was ongoing and you intended to finish, then probably worth it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hi

I appreciate the posts so far.
    Modey's post was a bit disappointing - but important information nonetheless. I will probably put the OU course on my CV nonetheless, to help my CV come up when recruiters search for "Visual Basic" on job boards.

I guess the main conclusion to be drawn is that I should really try to get the MCSD..

R

13. BosonMichael

Your CV will come up regardless of that course if, somewhere on your CV, you put, "Familiar with Visual Basic programming".

14. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

What courses are 10 a penny?
    Most places have application forms that get you to list training/professional qualifications/additional courses as a seperate section to mainstream education.
    I think most places also understand & already know that adults will have likely been on additional courses, whether through work or by themselves.

List the course/module under 'Training/Courses' or similar

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  15. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think Modeys point is many people are fortunate to pick up two or more one week courses through work every year. Many people also sleep through the courses at the back of the class and don't complete the exercises. The resulting course certificates can therefore be numerous and fairly meaningless on their own, as there has been no assessment of the individuals comprehension of the material like in a qualification or certification.

I think OU courses are probably different because your learning is assessed, also its normally done in your own time on your own money so you can generally assume that the person has gained something from it.

Its a personal choice what you put on your CV, I used to list courses at one point, now I have more stuff to put in other sections so I've dropped it from my CV.