pagefile.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Oct 24, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys, I just noticed pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are taking up like 20GB between them, do I really need a 12GB page file if when I have 12GB of ram installed? can I switch the page file off? what are the optimised settings for this bloody thing?

WK

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I was going to say "Do your own googling" but I'll be slightly more helpful by pointing you towards MS's recommendations http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654 for 2003/XP.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As mentioned page file size is related to the type of loads you put your machine under.

Determining a more precise number is a matter of observing various metrics under various loads.

Since most home users use their PC for wildly different functions its hard to know what a 'typical load' is.

I would however agree that its highly unlikely you will ever need much of a pagefile if you have 12GB physical memory and you don't go out of your way to waste resources.

You could turn off paging entirely, some people report this as a good move, however MS does not recommend this and certain crash dump functionality seems tied to having paging turned on.

I'd therefore maybe put it down to a lower value say 2GB and see if you ever run out of paging space. If you are using a 64 bit OS you will need a pagefile slightly larger than physical memory for crashdumps to be generated.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009